HDMI splitter/switch - would this be possible?

bishoplord

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I need an HDMI switch (or splitter) that will take the output of my HDMI video card and send the signal to either of my two projectors. I do not want them both on at the same time (one is 720p and I use this for 3D. the other is 1080p and to be honest, the image is much sharper and easier to read webpages). I would like to be able to switch between projectors when the need for one or the other is necessary.

I've been researching switches and splitters. It would seem that what I need to achieve would be best done with a splitter. However, my question is this:

Here is a 2x1 switch. However, like most switches, it's 2 inputs - 1 output. Would this device work for my setup? Because correct me if I'm wrong, but "input" means the source, like an Xbox or cable box, not a TV or projector. A projector or TV would be the "output" right? So I'm basically asking if this switch could be used in the reverse order - considering it's just redirecting a signal, correct in theory? Because I would be outputting the signal from my HTPC/video card and inputting the two projectors, LOL. I know it sounds silly but it makes sense from a certain point of view.

193-455.jpg

Or would I be better off buying a splitter like this?

195-123_1_.jpg

The splitter seems like a waste as I only need 1 input source and that's the HTPC/video card. However, all 1x2 splitters do not have an A/B button (or remote, hehe) like this one and most I've been reading about require that both 'outputs' need to be on at the same time. I'm leaning towards the 4x2 splitter, but if the other device (switch) would work, then I'd save about $30.

Solution
http://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi+splitter+cable+2+output&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop%3A1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

if all the cable does is split the signal then just keep whichever device you are not using off and all should be fine. the signal will play on whichever is turned on. just remember to have the device physically off and not on "standby".

if you are wary of a device without a physical a/b switch then just google for a 2 output hdmi switch since there is no need for 4 hdmi out.

i'd be more worried about the fact that one projector is 720p and the other is 1080p. every time you start up with a different projector you'd have to swap around your display settings to get it to look right i would think...
http://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi+splitter+cable+2+output&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop%3A1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

if all the cable does is split the signal then just keep whichever device you are not using off and all should be fine. the signal will play on whichever is turned on. just remember to have the device physically off and not on "standby".

if you are wary of a device without a physical a/b switch then just google for a 2 output hdmi switch since there is no need for 4 hdmi out.

i'd be more worried about the fact that one projector is 720p and the other is 1080p. every time you start up with a different projector you'd have to swap around your display settings to get it to look right i would think. as for clarity, of course the 1080 is clearer as it has more resolution than a 720.

Solution

bishoplord

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

Yes, this is something I need to be wary of. For example, I'm currently using the 720p DLP projector as the main display in my home theater - but I would like to eventually go back to using my 1080p LCD as the image is much better (but it can't do 3D - not without a $500 device called ViP Theatre). Anyhow, when I was manually swapping the cables, I found that the 1080p projector didn't like any of the low-resolutions and would not display. If I'm using the 720p PJ, I have to remember to set the Windows 7's display resolution to 1920 x 1080 first.

Thanks for the tips. I was having a hard time Googling not knowing the correct words to use. As I stated about the 2x1 switches, I read a few reviews that said you needed both displays on at the same time in order for the splitter to work.

For example (from Amazon) - regarding this switch Click this link:

This review is from: HDMI Splitter Amplifier 1 In to 2 Out Dual Display
I have a 40" LCD and a projector TV. I bought this because I wanted to run HDMI to both TV's from my Onkyo receiver but only to one at a time. I was hoping that I would be able to have one input and 2 outputs without needing to unplug one from the Onkyo and putting in the other. This item seemed perfect. I would be able to select which TV I wanted to watch at that time and bingo. Well, what I found was that both TV's NEED to be on in order for the box to work. Since there was nothing in the description that said that it would only work when both TV's were on, I gave it 3 stars.

One response to this review was that the reviewer had an older splitter and the newer splitters corrected this issues, but that reply didn't have a link to the new splitter. I mean, I'm not willing to pay to find out that it only works the way this guy is describing it when I could have just invested that money towards the correct device that works as it should - without having to return the other device and get a restocking fee, etc. It seems that the device on Amazon is hit or miss, with several people receiving a switch that is not as pictured, and other people receiving something entirely different as well.

So yes, as you outlined, as long as one devices is OFF, then the other device would be selected. I trust your response and will go with a 1 In - 2 Out splitter - but not from Amazon. I'll go through Meritline. Thanks.

its all in watching who you buy from. if you buy from some noname company then chances of you getting a non-working product or a product not as pictured are much higher than if you dealt with a reputable company. the downside is that reputable companies typically charge much more for their products.

read some reviews on the particular device you are thinking of to forsee any issues as you are doing now.

read some reviews on the place or seller you are buying from as well.

bishoplord

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I ordered a 1x2 splitter from a company called Sewell. This splitter is the same as on Ebay, Amazon and other sites, but at least I know I will be getting the actual pictured device, not a substitute. This one has the metal case, not the plastic case that has clunky HDMI connectors.

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp?ad_source=GoogleAdWords&ad_medium=PPC&ad_term=sewell%20HDMI%20splitter&ad_campaign=53983803&ad_group=2074893963&ad_network=search&ad_creative=7153162563&gclid=CLLu5uqflagCFQI8gwodl13_Cg