My blu ray wont play proper aspect ratio

declan

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
hi, i have tried a number of blue ray players, none will play a 2/35 ratio, the store tried all there brands, same result , 2/35 looks like 1/85 and 1/85 lookes like full screen. tv is panasonic 50 inch, yes have played with all the zoom and other features, no result. so my store said they can not help me, as they said they werent able to find out why, they did same as me in store 3 sales men , still no result. help

keep in mind that the ratio the disk displays at normally is determined by what ratio the dvd or blueray is recorded at. typically blueray disks are at 1920x1080 resolution but i have seen ultra-widescreen recordings as well. if this ratio differs than your televisions display ratio then you will see black bars. there is nothing you can do short of zoom/stretch to change this.

a blueray player can usually upscale normal dvds to be around 720p which makes them look better but the aspect ratio is still most likely the same as the original recording.

the zoom functions on the tv are exactly as they appear to be. they zoom (or stretch) the image in order to make it fit your television better. data is either cut off (if zoomed) or distorted (if stretched) from the original recording. this will result in a picture that is not as clear as default.

since ratio varies so much since every manufacturer seems to have their own definition of widescreen getting video to fit 100% with dvds is hard. if you have a 1080p tv then most bluerays should fit but by the ratios you are describing i'm guessing you have an older television? if this is the case then there might not be much you can do about it.

some dvd recordings have also been known to have black bars actually included as part of the video feed and not added by your television. sometimes this is reserved for CC/Subtitles.