Dell Studio 17 touchscreen. Need accessory recommendations.

happybunny2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hi,

Just purchased the new Dell Studio 17 touchscreen laptop.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the following accessories:

1) 17" notebook cooler (2-3 fans). Less than $50?

2) stylus pen

3) Touchscreen protector that helps your fingers slide better (like the iphone protector has this smooth surface, not sure what it is).

Thanks and happy new year!

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I can only say that you should consider getting speed balls or something similar. Letting air flow underneath your laptop is better than any notebook cooler in my opinion, and it's definitely much more portable, since you the speed balls are literally pocketable.

Baum

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Hi Newcomer & R_Manic,

I am a high school teacher considering the purchase of the Studio 17 with Multi Touch capability. What I am trying to figure out though is whether it would have the same functionality as a tablet PC if I added a stylus to it. For example, if I had a spreadsheet open and turned on the "ink" feature in Review in Excel, would I be able to ink a line with my finger or with a stylus.

Regards,

Andrew

happybunny2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Hi Andrew,
I contacted Dell tech support multiple times and they all said pen/touch is supported and I need to reinstall the drivers and even reset my computer back to factory default...WRONG. I contacted the software company "N-trig" that provides the multi-touch and their response to me:

Dear ______,

Thank you for your email.

The Dell Studio 17 Notebook did not have pen functionality as part of its original feature set.

N-trig is planning to launch the battery-powered pen in the near future, however, it is still unclear whether Dell will adopt this offering for their Studio Notebook products.

Thank you for visiting our website, and for taking the trouble to contact us.

If you want more of a tablet pc, go with the HP. I tried that for 30 days. Liked it but the screen was too small. Needed more of a desktop replacement instead.

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS