Solved! Chipset and Memory Upgrade

heaver

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Hey there, I have a Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8828 which supposedly has an amd m780v chipset. I say supposedly, because whenever i run any software that tells me my hardware info. such as cpu-z or amd overdrive, etc, it says my chipset is m780g and not v (which makes no sense at all, since the 780g comes with radeon 3200 and mine is the 3100 which comes with 780v). Which one should i trust?

Also i wanted to do a memory upgrade on the lappie. It currently has 3gb ddr2 pc2 6400 and the manufacturer says the max is 4gb (there are 2 memory slots). The thing is, knowing that the laptop came with vista x86 with which more than 4gb wont work, and also having read in a few places that my chipset (either m780v or g) support a max of 8 gb and that now i'm running win 7 x64, Could I put in there 8gb ram (2x4gb)? That would really help me with playing dota and being on skype, msn, ventrillo, facebook and running bots in tibia at the same time =).

Solution
Trust Toshiba: Satellite P305D-S8828 tech specs

You could get 4GB keeping 1 2GB module and adding 1 more 2GB module.

Have you priced 8GB or RAM? You'd need to throw out the 3GB you have to add 2x 4GB modules.
Besides the Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8828 indicate a maximum of 4GB is supported.

I think you'll get a very minimal performance increases going from 3GB to 4GB. Not worth the time and money IMO.

Trust Toshiba: Satellite P305D-S8828 tech specs

You could get 4GB keeping 1 2GB module and adding 1 more 2GB module.

Have you priced 8GB or RAM? You'd need to throw out the 3GB you have to add 2x 4GB modules.
Besides the Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8828 indicate a maximum of 4GB is supported.

I think you'll get a very minimal performance increases going from 3GB to 4GB. Not worth the time and money IMO.

Solution

heaver

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
i was looking at prices earlier and the prices seemed pretty fair...it would go for less than 300 bucks which is not much...
the problem is that i really wanted to upgrade...do you think if i call toshiba and ask nicely someone would be able to tell me if its possible?

TRENDING THREADS