Sound recorded from speakers gives static

TheOKAY

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I'm not exactly sure what sub category to put this in so I will move it if anyone has a better suggestion of where to put it.

So I downloaded Camstudio(on windows 7 64-bit) to do some game vods and everything works fine except the sound is filled with static and would be very annoying and nobody would want to see my videos.
So I downloaded "easy mp3 recorder" and tried to use it to record sound coming out of the speakers in case Camstudio had some problem. But it was the same problem. There was static in the audio only file I recorded.
I tried to look it up and people told me something about enabling "stereo mix" as my default recording device.
Still static.
I don't what the deal is because the sound I here from the game is not staticy at all until I record it and listen to the recording.

I don't know maybe its a hardware problem even.
Thanks for any suggestions! :hello:

TheOKAY

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
a quick update. I just tried taking a male to male cable routing the output of the speakers directly into the front microphone jack and recording. and there is still static!

The static is distortion, your record level is too high.

The systems today have an automatic level control, disable it and adjust it manually. You really don't want to record from a speaker, you want to use the line level output from the sound source, into the line level input of the recorder device. Otherwise you could expect a poor quality recording.