Laptop on a budget with discrete GPU?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
What do you recommend in the </= $1000 category?

Out of these?: HP DV7, Dell Studio 15/17, Dell XPS 16, Sony, Asus, Toshiba???? Any of those?

I don't think Clevo/Sagers can be found in that price territory, right?

I could be mistaken but my impression is that the top laptops in this price category include:

*Toshiba Satellite P500 or A500 series (Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad Core)

*Asus (too many models to list... P8400 cpu+)

*Dell Studio 15/17 or XPS 16

*Sager/Clevo clone - I assume these are way over my budget but if they weren't, I would rate them as highly as the above

I hope to find a laptop with the following specs:
P8400 cpu or above
DDR3 RAM but DDR2 is acceptable
discrete GPU (Nvidia preferred but ATI acceptable if the rest of the specs match my request)
high resolution - 1440 x 900 or higher
LED backlight HD screen display
eSATA port
HDMI
2+ hours of battery life and preferably, an option for a higher cell battery for longer life

I am finding it difficult to have all the above specs matched with a $1000 price tag

Any candidates? I am interested in learning of which brand have the better parts and notebook manufacturers

Most of all, I would like to find a laptop that has all of my requested specs but also has enough quality hardware that I can be assured of a few years out of the machine. I am careful enough but it helps to have something that isn't going to break down or be an issue - at that price, you expect a few years of reliability!

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

That's pretty accurate! I'm looking for $ CAN models, unfortunately. Not much choice unless I could get someone from the U.S. to send me a laptop!

Those models above both look equally perfect for what I'm looking for except they are American outlets that don't ship to Canadians and the Cdn newegg site doesn't stock either model. No big surprise there! :(

So, now what to do?

Aircraft123

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
The ASUS N81VP-D2 is an excellent notebook for the price that I have been considering for myself.

Both Buy.com, Amazon, and Newegg have it.

If you could get that model in CAN that would satisfy all of your requirements I believe.

Robert