Replacing LCD screen...

Alvarro

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hi guys! I have a technical question.
Is it possible to replace broken LCD TV screen from totally different brand?
The thing is, I have Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV (KDL-32EX301, HD Ready) with faulty screen. I'll spare you details, there was an impact on it and screen looks like a spider web now, part of it shows normal view and rest of it just flashes gray.
I have read many forums and advices, and I'm aware of cost of replacing broken LCD screen, but my thought was:
does manufacturers use same kind of screens for more than one model? For example: can I expect that same kind of LCD screen that my Bravia have could be used in Panasonic, Samsung or any other brand for their 32" HD ready LCD TV?
I thought about checking eBay for exact same TV (faulty but with good LCD screen), buy it cheap and try to replace it. But waiting until someone puts EXACT same model in condition I need can take.... a lot of time :) It would be faster if I knew where else my screen has been used - it gives me more options.
Is it even possible that I will find a screen that will fit to my Bravia elsewhere than Sony? If so, how to find out where that screens have been used (LCD screen part numbers? models)
Thx! :)

mrtired

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
You would have to check the build sticker on the back of the panel (not back cover) itself. There are only a few manufacturers on LCD panels, and I suspect Orion (who makes some Toshibas) makes that one. It could be AUO (which makes some LGs), could be Samsung (which makes most everything), could be Sharp (in the good Sonys). There are ways to program the mainboard to accept a few select vendors, but they would have to be panels which were built in Sony 32" models.

In short, it's doable, but in a very narow sense.

G