Buying Advice for a Netbook with specific/limited use

Skyfish88

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I am looking to buy a Netbook, I am using the FAQ made by Maziar (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-50797_20_0.html ) to give you my precise needs so you can help me out.

1_My budget is up to $500

2_Size is not really relevant, the larger the screen the better for me.

3_Min of 1024*600 I would say, although I am open to other suggestions.

4_This is for a portable Netbook or Notebook

5_Battery life is the most important to me, I am traveling in planes for up to 12 hours and want to use my netbook (ie watch videos!) as long as possible!

6_No need to play games.

7_I want to watch videos with my Netbook, notably Xvid files on non-HD format of size 700MB played with media players like VLC or more specifically SMPlayer.

8_No need for large Hard drive size, 50 to 100GB is enough

9_No specifiic site to buy from.

10_No need to keep that netbook for long...

11_No need for optical drives

12_Totally brand agnostic

13_I live in the Netherlands/Europe!

14_Really it comes down to a machine I will use to surf the web and watch videos/listen to music on - instead of buying a stupid mini DVD player I would prefer to invest the money in a Netbook - but it has to have great battery life, decent screen-video card and replaceable batteries.

I am also open to OTHER suggestions that fit my need more appropriately if you feel I should buy something else than a Netbook.

Thanks to all for your help!

Skyfish88

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
The $500 budget is the MAX I am willing to dish out. Ideally I would like something in the 250 to 400 range, I am interested in Netbooks :)

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

I am also open to OTHER suggestions that fit my need more appropriately if you feel I should buy something else than a Netbook.

This is for a portable Netbook or Notebook

:heink:

Skyfish88

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I very much appreciate your help and do not want to sound like I am not listening to your advice but the suggestions you made were all for stuff in the $600 price range - plus those items cost significantly more in Europe.
My remark about notebook/netbook is that sometimes the difference between both is not clear and I do not want to get into semantics...

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Whats your budget in Euros.

If there are light notebook within budget will you consider it? or still insisting on the [slow] netbook? :sol: