Is Toshiba worth the extra investment?

No_Zenith

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I have been hooked on Toshiba since 2005 when I bought a laptop on Black Friday at Best Buy.

I need to update because my Satellite L-25 is just getting worn out.

I grabbed an Acer Aspire 7535-5020 for $498.00 at Walmart this Black Friday... I am thinking of trading it out for a more expencive and perhaps lower performing Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7930 for $628.00

I have yet to really use the Acer much, but I miss some things about Toshiba, including my confidence in its reliability.

Question:
Is there a significant difference in Quality between Toshiba and Acer?

What is the significances of L2 cache?

I am looking to keep my new acquisition for the next 4 years.

Thank You ;-)

P.S. If you can recommend a better laptop for all inclusive use (movie playback, web surfing, portability, solid processor for a little photo editing, descent batt. life) I would much appreciate the information and where to find the best deals.
I am an average user, not a gamer. This will be my one and only computer, entertainment system etc. and I am a student on a budget.

Thanks again.
______

I am adding on this list of Questions:

1_What is your budget?
$700.00 and that includes tax unless this is some kick ass unit.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I was looking to find something other than the extremely short wide screen... around 16-17.5"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
as good as I can get, HD, and at least 16" if I can get somewhere close to 1080p even without hitting it I'd love you. Best I can seem to find is in the Acer with 720p and a 1600x900 ratio

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Whatever is best in my price range

5_How much battery life do you need?
The better battery life the better, 2 hours would be nice, more would be Fantastic

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
no specific games, certainly not high end.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Movies, online videos, flash games, some photo editing, class work, power point.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
at least 200g (I have 40g at the moment)

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Walmart.com was cheapest on what I got... but I need help on this.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
as long as possible... I plan to get a desk top in a few years that does everything at that point and this be my portable for whatever else.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
A super multi would be nice. I want it to do everything; read, write, dvd, cd, all types. I do not need Bluray though

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I <3 Toshiba... don't now much about other brands but what people tell me. Have had good luck with HP but have no affinity to that company.

13_What country do you live in?
United States

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Funny, I have the exact opposite impression of Toshiba Laptops. Maybe they are good build quality now but I've seem major design flaws and reliability issues on older ones.
Acer is good stuff IMHO. I like a new one they have at Costco with a claimed 8 hour battery life, LED backlit, and very light and thin.

No_Zenith

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

I had not considered Costco, Thanks. And I do want LED Backlit ;-)

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
The Acer model I like is the Aspire 4810. The only thing is the screen is 720p screen
but has the 8 hour battery, integrated webcam, 4.4lbs, LED backlit, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HD. Less than 1" thick I think. US$650.00

No_Zenith

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

Man that sounds like a pretty sweet deal... depending on the processor.

Whats wrong with 720p on the display? I have been researching a lot and that is as good as it gets without investing a lot more for the specific feature of 1080p.

Is there some issue with having 720p? It seems to look pretty amazing with an led backlit lcd display.

Thanks again.