Solved! Should I run Windows 7 home 32 or 64?

tbowl21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
I have a Dell Inspirion 1501 that I want to upgrade. Its currently running Vista Premium and I hate it. I want to upgrade the processor and RAM. Dell tells me the most I can do is 2bg from the 1 is has now. So with that being said I read where you need at least 6 gb for Windows 7 64 to be worth it. Any thoughts...... :heink:

Solution
I don't think you need 6GB for 64-bit to be worth it, in fact if you have over 3GB you need to run 64-bit in order to use it properly. However since your machine is limited to only 2GB anyway there is probably no need to run 64-bit, although I run it on 2GB and it works fine. Fortunately unlike when 64-bit first came out for XP you no longer have to buy a seperate version, two discs will come in the 7 package and you simply boot from the one you wish to install. At this point I would be asking if there was some reason not to run 64-bit.

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I don't think you need 6GB for 64-bit to be worth it, in fact if you have over 3GB you need to run 64-bit in order to use it properly. However since your machine is limited to only 2GB anyway there is probably no need to run 64-bit, although I run it on 2GB and it works fine. Fortunately unlike when 64-bit first came out for XP you no longer have to buy a seperate version, two discs will come in the 7 package and you simply boot from the one you wish to install. At this point I would be asking if there was some reason not to run 64-bit.

Solution

Just to clarify, that's only true if buying the "retail" versions. OEM versions are either 32 or 64 bit.

tbowl21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
What about if i switch CPU, will that effect how much RAM i can install? Or does that depend on MOBO? Also taking those two into consideration, the amount of money i would spend I should just get a new one?

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
If you plan on using the OS on your next computer, go ahead and spring for the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version is ideal for your current rig, but it will SEVERELY limit your next.

tbowl21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks rodney..but to clarify..I meant if i upgrade the processor in my current Inspirion would that allow me to install more RAM past the 2GB i can now, or is that dependant on the Motherboard. And if it does go by the MOBO, then that means I should just get a new laptop right with WIN 7 64 and enough ram to run it?

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
It is dependent on your motherboard. You're limited to 2 GB with that system.

My Dell Inspiron 1505 also had a 2 GB limit... and it has since been retired. I still have it in a closet for just testing random bullcrap, but it's not suitable (for me at least) as a primary system... hell, I've got a desktop and a laptop since I retired that one.

tbowl21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah i am about to purchase an i5 from HP desktop, but I don't want to just get rid of laptop. I travel a lot being in the military and want something I can lug around but not cry if something happens to it. Just want it to be more functional then it is now. What about processor is there a place to learn what the biggest processor is for that MOBO in the 1501?

TRENDING THREADS