Connecting PC (DVI+audio) to a TV

burbly

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Dear all,

I'm hoping to connect my PC up to a TV... but I haven't done this since analog days, so I was hoping for some advice before I start buying cables. (I wasn't sure which part of the forum to ask on -- Home Theatre like the best fit. Apologies if I've got it wrong.)

This is what I have:

PC: Core 2 Quad running XP Professional 32-bit
Graphics card: XFX GeForce 9600 GT 512MB
Sound: SoundMAX HD Audio on Asus P5E Deluxe
TV: LG LD450

The graphics card has 2 DVI outputs. I'd ideally like to leave one connected to my monitor, connect the other to the TV, and display the same output on both --- I've never done this before, but the NVidia control panel implies that it's possible.

The TV has the following inputs:

RF In (Antenna/Cable)
AV In
Component Video In (Y, Pb, Pr) + Audio
HDMI™/HDCP Input (1.3 w/Deep Color)
RGB In (D-Sub 15pin) - PC
PC Audio Input

The PC and TV are about 5m apart, so I was thinking of getting a DVI->HDMI cable. E.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DVI-HDMI-5m-Gold-Cable-V1-3-Video-HDTV-Lead-1080P-/220472176983?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item33552a7157#ht_2814wt_1135

I had originally hoped to get a DVI+audio to HDMI converter, but it seems that those are very expensive. So I'll probably buy a separate audio cable and hope I can persuade the TV to use the sound from that rather than the (non-existent) HDMI sound. But I'm not sure if there's a more elegant solution. (Ideally I'd like to minimise the number of cables running from the PC to the TV.)

One other option might be to try and send A/V data from the PC to a Popcorn Hour A-200, which is already connected to the TV --- but I can't currently see any advantages in doing that.

If anyone has any feedback on this, I'd be grateful!

Thanks and best wishes,
Mohan

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
i would suggest that you check to see if the graphics card is compatible with whatever connection method you choose.

most graphics cards will come with a DVI to VGA adaptor.
many cards come with an adaptor for S-VIDEO or component.

obviously if there is an included adaptor, the circuit board will function with that connection method.

if i were you.. i would try the component and rgb options of the television to see which one has better results.
perhaps they are the same and you can return one cable for a refund.

it should be a battle between graphics card and television.
because both have a digital to analog convertor for video.

it should be a battle between the sound card and television.
because both have a digital to analog convertor for audio.

i dare you to read the conversations about different digital to analog convertor quality.
its a pain, and people are purchasing expensive dedicated upgrades.

just gotta try both and compare which one is better.

burbly

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I don't really want to fiddle around with buying multiple cables right now --- from your post it sounds like there is no technical reason why DVI -> HDMI won't work, so I'll stick with that for now.

One point I'm having some difficulty with -- I'm not sure what kind of audio cable I need. The input on the back of my TV is just labelled 'AUDIO IN'. From the above specs I know this is meant for connection to a PC, but I'm not sure exactly what the socket is. (And even whether it's digital or analog.) Does anyone happen to know? I can post a picture of the socket if need be...

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
see.. my graphics card has the DVI socket and it came with a DVI to VGA adaptor.
i want to use a DVI to component and hookup my television, but there is no guarantee that the graphics card can communicate in that language.

i might be going a little extreme over here because i dont want to break my graphics card (cant afford a new one)

but
each connection type (component, dvi, vga, hdmi) is a language.
perhaps an analog language or digital language.
the question is whether or not the graphics card can speak that language.
and/or can the graphics card speak that language safely without self-destructing.

DVI is digital
HDMI is digital
vga is analog
component is analog

i think if you purchase a car and are not willing to slam down hard on the brake pedal to LEARN when the tires stop rotating.. you are not a fully informed driver and the need to slow down might be met with an excessive stopping distance because you didnt realize your car could stop any faster without making the tires stop spinning.

that means you might plow into another car or a person on the road.
all because you didnt 'fiddle around' with learning the limits of your vehicles brakes.

it would be amazing that you took the time to learn and instead of crashing into another car, you stopped before you touched the other car and avoided ANY damage.

that is exhilerating.
but there is also the difference of hitting the other car so hard that you cant drive your vehicle anymore.
OR
you slowed down enough and you could drive the vehicle home.
then you could probably continue to drive the car every day without having to fix it or buy a new one.

i know that having a car and driving can be a hobby.. it can be a sport..
but that doesnt mean you get to buy a car and stop learning.
people are all so quick to be modest and appreciate the little things that they have.. but they dont take the time to make the best of what they have.

you want to purchase a generic television and save lots of money? okay
but why not adjust the settings and try to get the best picture possible?
because i mean, some people dont even bother to adjust the sharpness and they can do that with their eyeball.
you dont need special tools or a special test pattern.
those things will teach you right from wrong if there are included instructions.
but you should be able to see for yourself that too much sharpness will cause distortion.

its about the same exact thing as choosing how far away you hold a book from your face while you are reading.
the choice is yours.. and its to make life better for you.
i'm not saying the book is bad and purchase something from my personal selections.
but dont torture yourself holding the book too far away.
usually holding the book is an adjustment that happens naturally and people will do it to better please themselves.
why stop?

burbly

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
you want to purchase a generic television and save lots of money? okay
but why not adjust the settings and try to get the best picture possible?

Because this isn't for my primary playback solution. That's done via a Popcorn Hour, and I have indeed spent quite a while fiddling with the settings.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
thats fantastic.. i just think that people such as me and those that give advice on forums are suggesting that people buy something that is already perfect for their specific situation.

more realization that something can be 'adjusted' to become a better product.

i'm not trying to force all these feelings into one post.

but when people purchase a pair of shoes and they get stained or the paint on the leather rips.. not enough emphasis is placed onto the clear paint that can be used to prevent the stains and minor rips.

its a safety issue when people dont learn the maximum amount that they can turn the steering wheel before the front of the car stops turning and slides forward.

there are quite a few speakers that sound like crap when you simply plug them in and play 'em.
but if you use an equalizer, they sound much better.

and with that said..
i am repeating that there are two end results that can be achieved and one might be significantly better than the other.
depending on which digital to analog convertor is being used.

perhaps it sounds like an angry rant or nervous breakdown.. but i am only trying to wish people the best.
i've been faced with more counter-productive activity than i can tolerate.

and maybe you will want some change and take interest in the details that can be 'adjusted' without having to spend any money as long as you read instructions and tips.

to say the least.. i tried to talk you out of using more than one cable to attach your television to the computer.
a component cable can have the wires connected to eachother and make it seem like one cable that is probably twice as thick as an hdmi cable.
IF those component cables include audio cords.. the thickness will be a bit more, but its still one solid piece of cable.

apolgies for sharing my struggle and allowing you to see/feel the same frustration.
but i think the details of said frustration can benefit a situation.

if society really didnt have any options.. the thought of a $50 hdmi cord is too much to remain quiet about.

For starters, your TV has an audio input. Generally those are just 3.5mm stereo jacks (you'll want to confirm this), the same as the ports on your discrete/integrated sound card. Generally speaking, it's just a matter of connecting your green audio output port from the PC to the audio input on the TV.

As far as video is concerned, you shouldn't need anything more than a DVI to VGA adapter and a lengthy VGA (D-sub 15) cable. I'm currently using a DVI to VGA adapter and 25' VGA cable to connect my HTPC to my projector and it works like a charm.

While this does leave you with running multiple cables, it's probably the easiest solution.

-Wolf sends

-Wolf sends

burbly

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Wolfshadw,

Thanks for the pointers -- the audio information is particularly useful. I think I'll stick with HDMI instead of VGA as then I don't have to worry about noise in the cable...

The problem with just going HDMI is that if your HDTV detects a signal over the HDMI input, it may be expecting the audio signal as well. You'll want to confirm that if you're using the HDMI input, you can select an alternate audio source on your HDTV.

-Wolf sends

burbly

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for the warning. I did look into this yesterday... reports vary, but the most reliable/relevant one I could find said this:

There's an Audio In (RGB/DVI) plug at the back of the TV, this is where you can hook your PC's sound card to the TV - if you're hooking the TV up through VGA or through HDMI 2. As for the picture (I'm assuming your PC doesn't have an HDMI-out port), you'd have to use a DVI to HDMI adapter to be able to connect the TV to the PC through an HDMI cable. Note that when you connect an HDMI cable through HDMI 1, the TV cuts the sound to the Audio In plug, because the TV assumes the sound will be coming in through HDMI cable. You'd have to use HDMI 2 in order to avoid this.

I'm going to go with that and cross my fingers!