Solved! Help choosing ~2500$ Gaming/work Laptop

brunel

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
1_What is your budget?
About 2500$ tops, although a little over isn't too much of an issue

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Preferably 17" but 15" would be ok. As for thickness and such it doesn't really matter. I would almost prefer bigger to provide for enough cooling.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1440x900 at least

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. I don't really care if it's very portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not an issue. I will have it plugged in at all times.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Mass Effect 2...... all the upcoming big games basically. And I would like to run them all at or at least close to max settings.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I'm a drafter, so I would also like to be able to run Autocad 2010 and Revit quite well which means I will want a decent bit of ram to, most likely at least 4GB.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Nothin too crazy, probably at least 200GB would be plenty. I've been thinking about getting a solid state HD but am unsure if it's worth it

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Anywhere is fine, but I live in Canada. So if I can avoid shipping thats always a plus.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years if possible

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Just a DVD drive is fine. I don't really care a for a writer or blu-ray but having those is definitely a plus

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm a little scared of Dell but could be swayed otherwise. I've been looking at Asus and have been pretty impressed with what they have. But I'm pretty much open to any brand as long as it's quality.

13_What country do you live in?
Canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I have a 6 or 7 year old desktop right now and it's really starting to show it's age. So I've opted to try a laptop this time around as they seem to be getting better and better at gaming, and the mobility is a big plus if I can get some work done on it as well. One thing I am always paranoid with is over-heating, so I would like a laptop with a great cooling system.

I've been looking at an Asus G71GX-A2 Laptop as a possibility. But I have read some negative reviews, mainly about it's poor display which sort of scares me. Any input is greatly appreciated, because I am not too familiar with quality Laptop brands.

maldinilovegame

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
With that budget you can get a very top gaming laptop such as Alienware M17X, ASUS G51, G71, or HP Envy 15... These gaming laptops all have a great graphic card to play all games in high details without any problems...