How to figure out toshiba sd-r2512 dvd rom drive

irishmandingo

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
i have a compaq presario r3000 the dvd drive is Toshiba sd-r2512. it will play music cd's and download software from software cds' but will not play dvds, purchased or burned type. What is causing this.

Kenny

G

Well, it is CD writer/DVDplayer combo so it should read commercial DVD

If you've updated to a newer version of Windows and are running on a Windows driver that doesn't recognise the drive properly, look on the Tosh and Compaq sites for a new driver.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
i believe fihart means FIRMWARE UPDATE

all cd/dvd roms contain moving parts etc ans will eventually ware out

software is also required for dvd playback as most older versions of windows will not play dvds by default etc

G

No I didn't think of firmware, but it's pretty good idea.

XP is quite happy supporting DVD drives so the files should show up, but you will need codecs to view films because some versions of Windows Media Player are thin on those.

For many movie formats, a simple player like Videolan will suffice.

irishmandingo

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
thankyou again for your help, I'm going to give that a try. How would I go about cleaning the optical drive? a cutip and rubbing alcohol? I think it can stand a good cleaning.

kenny

G

Yes, hold the babybud/Qtip by one end and exert no pressure on the laser lens or you may damage the focusing mech. Clean off with the dry end.

Careful with your choice of cleaner -- test any solvent on some other plastic and see if it clouds it or leaves residue.