Solved! Inspiron 1720 shut off and won't come back on

pampam

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Out of nowhere, my laptop just shut off. The ac adaptor normally has a green light when it is plugged in but when I plug it in the laptop, the light goes away. I've tried taking the battery out and trying a different ac adaptor that is new and works, and it does the same with the adaptor lights. The light does not come back on as well when I unplug it. I physically have to unplug from the socket to get the light back on. Any suggestions?

Solution
If your PSU light goes off, there's probably a short somewhere in the notebook that's tripping it. Check and make sure that there's nothing stuck inside your DC jack.

Are you sure you did no physical damage to the machine? The only real way to troubleshoot this is to disassemble the notebook. It's also worth it, if you can, to check and make sure the PSU is outputting the correct voltage - you can check it with a multimeter.

frozenlead

Distinguished
If your PSU light goes off, there's probably a short somewhere in the notebook that's tripping it. Check and make sure that there's nothing stuck inside your DC jack.

Are you sure you did no physical damage to the machine? The only real way to troubleshoot this is to disassemble the notebook. It's also worth it, if you can, to check and make sure the PSU is outputting the correct voltage - you can check it with a multimeter.

Solution