Solved! Can coax audio out be "y-connected"?

khebler

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
i have a single coax audio output from my tv that needs to go to a zvox sound bar, and to my lexicon pre-pro's coax audio input. can the coax audio output from my tv simply be "y-connected" and then be fed to both?

Solution
wow.. there must be a whole lot of packet information going on.

kinda sad that we cant just split some copper into a Y
kinda happy that there are 'active' splitters for a digital audio connection.

i cant imagine what would need to change for two digital connections to be split with some copper.
but if i had to guess, i'd say the memory chip that holds the digital audio langauge would need to be increased.

thinking a little deeper about the connection.. it makes sense to have information sent back and forth so that the receiver is in synchronization with the soundcard.
its like the soundcard says 'hey' and the receiver sends out a 'what?'
then the soundcard is programmed with a frequency that is used by all receivers that accept...

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
wow.. there must be a whole lot of packet information going on.

kinda sad that we cant just split some copper into a Y
kinda happy that there are 'active' splitters for a digital audio connection.

i cant imagine what would need to change for two digital connections to be split with some copper.
but if i had to guess, i'd say the memory chip that holds the digital audio langauge would need to be increased.

thinking a little deeper about the connection.. it makes sense to have information sent back and forth so that the receiver is in synchronization with the soundcard.
its like the soundcard says 'hey' and the receiver sends out a 'what?'
then the soundcard is programmed with a frequency that is used by all receivers that accept digital audio (known as a 'standard')
the soundcard records the exact moment it received the 'what?' reply from the receiver and starts sending out the signal at the perfect intervals.

but i wouldnt say that is necessarily the best way to do it.. because here is a different way:
the soundcard says 'hey.. and then starts sending data'
and the receiver woke up from the 'hey' and is listening to the data.
BUT there needs to be some synchronization so that the digital to analog convertor isnt confused.
its like listening to someone talk too fast and you try to hear them word for word but you cant make it out, and while you were trying to hear the word and use your brain to understand it.. there has already been more words said.

maybe the receiver has a buffer inside and the soundcard says 'hey' .. that turns on the receiver buffer and the soundcard starts sending data.
the buffer begins to fill up and the digital to analog convertor starts to drink from the buffer.
this would explain a delay from when you begin streaming audio to when it actually starts to play.
but AGAIN there needs to be a 'standard' because if the soundcard starts to send data before the buffer turns on, you will be missing a small portion of the beginning.

it all amounts to what method is the fastest.. because if the audio starts playing 'late' the video wont match the audio.

makes me think the digital to analog convertor has to wake up and start listening as fast as lightning.
another way to appreciate the technology we have today!
but i cant really imagine a need for the receiver to send any data to the soundcard.. which makes me think needing an 'active' adaptor isnt true.
the soundcard should be able to send its data out blindly.
although that doesnt stop the industry from making the receiver send an acknowledgement to the soundcard simply to establish a connection.
it might have something to do with program etiquette where all communication must be nice/kind and informative.. holding ground to the word 'establish'

Solution