2 MONTHS for dell to deliver a laptop?!

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I ordered my new Dell Studio 17 laptop yesterday, 17th december 2009. I knew I wouldn't get it for Christmas, but I was thinking maybe the week after (in 2.5 weeks). I just checked the expected delivery time for the laptop on the dell site and they say it will be delivered on the 9th Febuary 2010!!

Is this normal? I don't think that I ordered anything out of the ordinary, and the dell studio 17 had a €500 discount on it when I ordered it (so they can't be out of stock of components).

It's very frustrating as I know that in about 2 months there will be better deals and parts out, and I still won't have my laptop!!!!

G

I'd threaten to cancel, the least they'll do is offer you inducements to wait.

My brother virtually wrote his own price for a Gaming laptop from Dell that way.

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I logged into my dell account (French site) and the only options to contact the Suooprt Service seem to be by email. I'm not sure how to go about getting anything done. Even if they do reply, they will just send a standard email saying that it's due to the Christmas order build up.

Any ideas?

G

There should be a phone number for orders -- either in their ads or on the main website.

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
ok well their support is closed on sat and sun. I'll try on Monday.

Am I right in thinking 2 months is long? or is it normal?

And the fact that it is Christmas time. Christmas and Graduation are probably two of the busiest times to order a laptop. Then again, you usually find the best deals.

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
So I shouldn't call them? I just can't imagine why it would take a 6th of a year to deliver a laptop, even customised.

mrmark27

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
I ordered an HP customized maybe 2 weeks ago, it only took a week for them to build and me to receive it. I'd think even with it being a busy period for them, it shouldn't be taking 2 months for them to put it together unless they only have 1 person in a shop building them all one by one, which im going to assume isn't how Dell's doing it

G

Haven't you seen the Dell ad with the big presses where they squeeze out candy coloured laptops like confectionery. That's how they make them these days.

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I just called Dell and they said that they will not upgrade the computer but that I can cancel if I want. I am a bit disapointed, since I expected that they would at least upgrade the ram.

G

same with mine, i orded inspiron 570, will take 2 months and 5 days to arrive. 3 days later i checked the website, the price has dropped by £20, the hard drive has improved and the 30 day free macafee has gone up to 15 months, im pritty pissed it says i cant cancel after its in " production"? i was told before my purchase it will take around 2 weeks.

G

Haven't you seen the Dell ad with the big presses where they squeeze out candy coloured laptops like confectionery. That's how they make them these days.

yea 2 months waiting is a joke, he isnt alone. they've got willy wonker an the umpa lumpas on the job.... why dont they just employ polish people... they do in the U.K and at a faster pace -_-

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Yes - it's horrid. And the laptop isn't even in "production" stage yet! It's still right after the payment stage!!

G

my Dell Inspiron 570 is in the production stage... i will receive it "approximately" 4th of Feb. before i made the purchase they told me i would get it in 2 weeks. if id of known about this 2 months + *** i would have built my own and at a cheaper cost.

Dont buy from Dell. :non:

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Just an upadte on this thread:

It is now the 30th of January and I still don't have the laptop. It is still in "preparation stage", not even in production, and the status of the order still says it is set to be delivered in a week from now. I fully expecting to have to call them in a week and ask why the laptop hasn't even started being made yet.

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I looked online and now they say that it will be delivered on the 10th of MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I waited TWO MONTHS for this laptop, and nothing has even happened in those two months!! AND NOW THEY WANT ME TO WAIT FIVE MONTHS!!

This is absurd, I'm very angry. I can't get through to phone support as I work 9-6 everyday, it's 6:30 here when I called them, and they are closed !

Im VERY upset.