Gateway Laptop - Switching from Vista to XP

xX StitcH

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I have a Gateway MT3707 (specs found here), and I am sick of Vista on it. It runs so incredibly slow, it's not even funny. I had an XP key that is sitting around, so I decided to clear off Vista and install XP.

Now that XP is installed, I am having some trouble finding drivers. I have the wireless, ethernet, and other various drivers located and installed. I'm atually typing this on the laptop over a wireless connection.

My problem now is in the video and sound drivers. From the link, I have the ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M. When I go to ATI's site and download the XP driver for this, it will not install. It says "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit." The yellow question mark remains in hardware manager on Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

For the sound driver, I installed a Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC driver from CNET and everything installed just fine. The yellow question mark in device manager went away, and when I restarted I had a little volume icon in the bottom right of the taskbar. I went to youtube to test it out, and nothing happened. Everything says that it is installed properly and working properly, but it is not working.

The only other thing in hardware manager with issue is "SM Bus Controller." Not really sure what that is?

I have no idea where to proceed from here. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my entire post, I know it was pretty long :p

tupix

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
You must, first of all, install the SM Bus Controller, after that u'll be able to install audio and video drivers.

I suggest u try a program like PC Wizard to know the real drivers u have on your notebook, sometimes the name and the identification can be changed by manufactory.

Good Luck!

xX StitcH

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009

Ok, I ran the program and it came up with this.

116mcld.jpg

Should I just do a google search for an XP driver for the chipset listed?

xX StitcH

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I tried Google, but I can't seem to find anything. This is really starting to piss me off. I'm almost ready to just re-install Vista :(

Does anyone else have some advice?