Laptop vs Notebook

MaryAnn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I am technology challenged and am looking to get either a laptop or notebook. I really like the portability of the notebook but my daughter said they are slow and I would be unhappy with that choice. Is that true and are there things to look for in a notebook that would increase speed?

Solution
It could be - depending on how it will be used and the programs you'll need to run.

A netbook ('net or internet book) isn't very powerful when compared to a desktop PC or or a normal laptop/notebook. It's OK to surf the web, work with e-mail and other light duty computer tasks.
A laptop/notebook is the better choice for multi-tasking workloads.
The size/weight difference between a 13-15" notebook and 10-12" netbook isnt all that great. Most are between 2.5 and 6lbs.

3 netbooks and 3 laptops compared

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I think you are confusing netbook with notebook. Notebook are another way of saying laptop's.

Netbook's are smaller than notebook and usuaully use Low power cpu.

What size of display you are after will help choose the right netbook or notebook.

MaryAnn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

You're right I am trying to compare netbook and laptop, thank you.

MaryAnn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I realized I was confusing notebook and netbook, therefore I would really appreciate opinions on netbooks. I like the smaller, lighter weight of a netbook but would it be the best choice?

It could be - depending on how it will be used and the programs you'll need to run.

A netbook ('net or internet book) isn't very powerful when compared to a desktop PC or or a normal laptop/notebook. It's OK to surf the web, work with e-mail and other light duty computer tasks.
A laptop/notebook is the better choice for multi-tasking workloads.
The size/weight difference between a 13-15" notebook and 10-12" netbook isnt all that great. Most are between 2.5 and 6lbs.

3 netbooks and 3 laptops compared

Solution