Problems with Rode NT2-A microphone...

molocono

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Just got a Rode NT2-A microphone and it appears there are some issues with the unit.
The output of the mic is really low. I have to crank up the gain almost to its max on my mixer/preamp to get a decent signal.
And when I boost the gain I get some type of loud wind noise.
I have a Rode NT1-A and I do not have any of these issues. I don't have to go crazy with the gain to get a nice, clear signal and there is no background noise. Any ideas?
I'll try to post some audio samples...

Solution

Hi, I have had this problem in the past with condenser mic's. Normaly a "whooshing" sound or wind noise is symptomatic of a damp diaphragm. Try keeping the mic in a warm place for a few hours to dry it out. Also, if you have to turn the pre-amp gain up...

purplepatch

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Hi, I have had this problem in the past with condenser mic's. Normaly a "whooshing" sound or wind noise is symptomatic of a damp diaphragm. Try keeping the mic in a warm place for a few hours to dry it out. Also, if you have to turn the pre-amp gain up to maximum to get a workable level you are almost certainly going to get pre-amp noise, quite a lot at that level of gain. I would try what I suggested above first and see what happens, an airing cupboard is a good place for this, or somewhere warm and not damp. Did you buy the mic secondhand ? if you bought it new then I would suggest you take it back to the retailer for a refund, or an exchange.

PP.

Solution