Lg 50px950 vs vizio xvt42 3sv

kosaku30

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hey everyone. I was looking for opinions between these two TVs. I've been doing some research and saw that both of these offer pretty good pictures for the price. I'm looking to maybe spend about 1200 hopefully so I am thinking I can either find that price online or bargain with a retailer. I was hoping someone could help me with the pros and cons of each TV and which one has the better picture, and maybe which one is better overall for the price.

I would also be open to any other suggestions of good TVs that people would think would be as good or better. Thanks for the advice!

Vizio xvt42 3sv
lg 50in px950

bjwsan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

You've chosen two completely different technologies. So, I'm going to ask the question... what are you looking for in your TV viewing?
The LG is plasma, THX certified, so in my opinion, better for theater/cinema viewing. I recommended this TV for my daughter, helped them set it up, and absolutely LOVE it. After watching it at their house, I sold my 60" Sharp Aquos LCD and have been watching for a deal close to what they got around Thanksgiving ($1,000 for TV and 2 sets of 3D glasses). NO such recent luck. In fact, these are often 'Out of Stock' online. Have been reading Cnet reviews and threads, and don't believe you can go wrong with this TV, or the 50PK950, without 3D. (I don't want active 3D, but you pay less than $100 more, so worth the resale value(?) especially if you can get glasses as part of a promotion.)
If you want Plasma and 3D, the sets this is often compared to are the Samsung PN50C8000 and 7000. 8000 quite a bit more and the 7000 not good at Cinema 1080p24 or 2D-3D conversion (but who is). Panasonic, the most expensive of the 3, Viera TC-P50VT25, is cited as the best. I've got a 42" Viera THX certified Plasma, and I love it, except that the wigets/online apps are lacking.
I have not seen the VIZIO you referenced, or even read of their LED technology, so I can't say. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in size between these two sets... the 50" having a 40% larger viewing area. (Check out this link: http://www.displaywars.com/42-inch-16x9-vs-50-inch-16x9 )
I personally don't like the VIZIO LCD sets, as I believe they are too bright and contrasty. They look great in Costco and a very well lit store environment, but skintones stink in a cinema setting. This LED may be better? but LED technology is typically very bright, so I think you've chosen two sets from completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

kosaku30

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
In general, I am just looking for an everyday TV that has good quality picture and won't give me trouble. Is there any significant problems from the px950 that your daughter has come across? I am just a little worried since some review sites such as cnet have mentioned temporary image retention. Also, I looked at their overall list and the vizio made it above the px950, but then again, the vizio did not make the best picture list. I definitely am the same as you int hat I don't really care for 3D right now since I feel that its development is still in its infancy. Maybe I should just go for whichever has the best deal? I'm not sure. I left a link below to the cnet review of the vizio if you want to read. Let me know if your daughter is having any problems with the plasma as that would help me make my decision too. Thanks for your help!

Vizio Xvt553sv