Solved! Dell Inspiron 8200 DOA

8isawesome

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
If a problem of mine might please be considered:
I had a Dell Inspiron 8200 passed on to me in a dead state, no lights or action at all when attempting to start. The cause was that another computer's power supply was attached to the mouse input (with an identical fit), presumably frying the motherboard. I don't know exactly how powerful the supply was if that matters.
I've worked on other Dell Inspiron laptops before and the plan unless told otherwise is to find another motherboard and switch them out.
Might there be some sort of fuse that would break or some way to reset this board?

Thanks for considering this at all and Happy Holidays if that's your sort of thing.
Anthony V
Manila, CA

:??:

Solution

I have the same old...
G

If someone has done something so grossly stupid as to plug a power supply into a mouse port you can be pretty sure it's a new mobo situation.

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

I have the same old laptop.There is no way in hell that you can plug power supply into mouse socket.Just cant be done.
You have been b/s My freind.
Anyway You can find new m/boards for that..... http://www.pchub.com/uph/model/0--3278-1/Inspiron-8200-parts.html
Not worth fixing really.If you can get to seattle You can have mine.

Solution

8isawesome

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I've seen similar pin connections and plug shape (I have an external drive ps that would probably fit) as the ps2 input and the person who did it didn't seem to have any other explanation but, yes, I don't know how that happens either.
Yes, grossly stupid and not worth it, thank you for your help.