Solved! Lenovo Thinkpad T500 vs Sony Vaio

rocky55

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Dear Forum:

Which laptop is best?

I am planninig to buy a laptop. I like the Lenovo T500. My only real contender would be like the Sony Vaio NW 250 or 275.

I am just trying to get an idea of what other forum members have experienced.

Thanks,

Rocky

Solution
Don't do websites myself but the T500 is configurable with switchable gfx and a powerful enough CPU. Also, I am not sure what the maximum resolution on the sony would be but the T500 is 1680 x 1050 which I would think would come in handy having the extra realestate.

Also, is this going to be travelling or staying on the desk, I say this as with the intel intergrated gfx you can get about 5-6 hours of battery life easily enough depending on what you are doing.

Another point would be if you are connecting to an external monitor as the T500 uses display post as it's digital video out so don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Still a solid enough notebook from my experiences so far.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I can only give you my opinion about the Sony Vaio NW series because I got the Black Friday (NW265) version. The NW250 and NW280 versions should be much better than mine with the ATI discrete graphics and the Core2Duo processor. Try to avoid the Intel GMA 4500MHD integrated graphics.

Pros:
Keyboard is very comfortable to use and comparable to the MacBook Air
ATI HD 4570 discrete graphics (if you order from the Sony website)
Build quality is quite durable for an all plastic build
HDMI output
Blu-ray drive
Weighs at 6 pounds (portable enough to carry around campus)
Quite thin for a 15.5" laptop (1.2 inches thick)
Reasonably priced

Cons:
Battery life is quite low, 2-3 hours depending on your brightness
Speakers are weak with no bass, but that is expected from a laptop
Viewing angle is poor if viewed more than 45 degrees

My Photos:
image00003cj.jpg

image00004.jpg

image00006n.jpg

image00005c.jpg

image00001e.jpg

rocky55

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Hello. I know a bit late. I am looking really for a computer with a lot of power for the money. I also need a computer that will work well with graphics and video as I do websites.

I have compared the components with the Sony Vaio NW 250 and everything seems much more superior.

It also seems like a bargain at about $900 + tax.

I would really appreciate your input. Thanks a million.

Rocky :pt1cable:

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Don't do websites myself but the T500 is configurable with switchable gfx and a powerful enough CPU. Also, I am not sure what the maximum resolution on the sony would be but the T500 is 1680 x 1050 which I would think would come in handy having the extra realestate.

Also, is this going to be travelling or staying on the desk, I say this as with the intel intergrated gfx you can get about 5-6 hours of battery life easily enough depending on what you are doing.

Another point would be if you are connecting to an external monitor as the T500 uses display post as it's digital video out so don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Still a solid enough notebook from my experiences so far.

Solution