The Best 5.1 Sound Card for the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers?

Sunny_12

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
What is the best 5.1 Sound Card for the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System? I don't need a 7.1 sound card for a 5.1 speaker system, as I am trying not to pay extra for something that is not even used, like buying a 7.1 sound card, when I only need a 5.1 sound card, because the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System is a 5.1 speaker system. Correct me if I am wrong, but does a 7.1 sound card make a 5.1 speaker system sound better or it doesn't matter, since it is only a 5.1 speaker system?

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
well again that depends. a sound card outputting an anolog to the z-5500 can be better then another card outputting digital to the external DAC in the z-5500

my recommendation is the asus range of soundcards.

oliwek

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
depends on your budget (and uses, but I suppose you don't need a professional music-riented soundcard) ; the X-Fi analog outputs is also a good combination (I would personnaly favor Azentech, more than Creative, for their better customer support) ; I myself use an Asus Xonar and an "old" X-Fi Elite pro connected to the Z-5500... Now pay attention if you use Linux, some cards have poor support outside of windows...

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
It comes down to output quality, and most of the time, Analog > Digital [Analog offers better dynamic range, but digital gives a clearer signal]. Regardless, digital output on all cards should be the same [prior to any extra encoding that may be going on]

For soundcards:
Auzentech <> ASUS > HT Omega > Creative

For under $100, the best options are:
ASUS Xonar Essence ST ~$50
ASUS Xonar D1/DX ~$89
HT Omega Striker ~$89

Above that, the Auzentech Forte, ASUS D2/DX, Auzentech Prelude, and ASUS Xonar Essence STX are the next batch of cards to recommend.

The Prelude is probably the best all around bet, although the Striker and D1/DX are very attractive options for a lower price.