Can someone recommend a set of speakers for $100?

HeroicHero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I need a set of speakers, and my budget is $100. I'd prefer 5.1, but I'd be fine with 2.1. Importance is 75% gaming, 25% music. It also needs to have a sub-woofer.

I'm thinking 2.1 would be better for me since I won't be properly setting up a surround sound system if I go with 5.1, but I'm afraid I'll miss the center channel if I don't go with 5.1.

Solution
Bookshelf/Monitor speakers like the one I linked are sonically a step above your typical satellite/subwoofer speakers but they are bigger than satellites--that's the trade off.

I have yet to hear any satellite/subwoofer system that sounds any good. The Klipsch iFi is the only one I might consider listening to for extended amounts of time. I've owned numerous PC speakers: altec lansing atp5, mx5020, z-560, z-680, klipsch promedia ultra 2.0...Now that I reflect on it, I realize they were pretty much all garbage.

Compared to larger speakers that is.

HeroicHero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
The center channel usually separates the vocal audio from the rest of it, correct? That's why I felt like it might be something I'd like. At any rate, I'll check those out.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The center channel is its own source. It operates as a dipole (point source). When a center channel is lacking, the sound is mixed in both left and right channels, so vocals are reinforced. This means there is more vocal output at the seating position.

Center channels were designed for home theater seating where a point source is necessary to prevent lobing or comb filtering. Having left/right both playing back center channel material produces more output at the "sweet spot" like a horizontal D'appolito MTM design. It just is a bad idea for extreme sitting angles. You don't need it nearfield.

HeroicHero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I wanted to spend about $90 tops, but I might consider going over. $160 isn't too bad if it's going to get me a better system. Those look pretty good, but I'm totally lost when it comes to audio equipment..

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Bookshelf/Monitor speakers like the one I linked are sonically a step above your typical satellite/subwoofer speakers but they are bigger than satellites--that's the trade off.

I have yet to hear any satellite/subwoofer system that sounds any good. The Klipsch iFi is the only one I might consider listening to for extended amounts of time. I've owned numerous PC speakers: altec lansing atp5, mx5020, z-560, z-680, klipsch promedia ultra 2.0...Now that I reflect on it, I realize they were pretty much all garbage.

Compared to larger speakers that is.

Solution