Solved! Unsupported audio signal. Please check the device output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwint22

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hello

This is my first time posting to a tech forum and I apologize upfront for any mistakes in category I may make.

However, after trying to resolve the matter with Sony support I have gotten nowhere. So, here it goes:

I have two LCD tvs:

1) Samsung LN40C530

and just purchased:

2) Sony KDL46EX400

I am trying to watch blu-ray movies from my laptop:

Sony Vaio VPC-F1190X

Processor: Intel Core i7 Q720

RAM: 4 GB

Video: Nvidia GeForce GT 330M

Laptop Monitor: Digital Flat
Panel (1920x1080 60Hz)

Hard drive: Hitachi HTS725032A9A360 320GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM SATA

Blu-ray: Matshita BD-MLTUJ240AS

Blue-ray software: Corel Windvd v.10.0.5.538

I am connecting via the HDMI port on my Vaio to the HDMI on the T.V.s.

Both t.v.s work with mediacom digital cable (not HD) via coaxial connection.

When I connect to the Samsung I have no issues (other than having to ff through the previews). However, without changing any settings both display and sound worked right out of the box.

The bravia is a whole different story. When playing a movie the display is fine, however, there was no sound. Tried two different blu-ray movies, The Losers (awsome movie is you have not seen it yet) and Robin Hood (couldn't tell ya, only tried on Bravia so far). Also tried normal DVD and the display and sound did work for that.

Tried troubleshooting in the manual, information is non-existent for having sound issues using HDMI to HDMI.

Tried sony.com/support and entered bravia model number went to audio troubleshooting and everything is set up as is.

Chatted with support:

Bravia support told me it is not possible to connect a PC to the Bravia via HDMI. They referred me to page 13 in the Bravia manual and said to disconnect HDMI and connect via HD15-HD15 cable (analog RGB) in conjunction with an audio cable.

They stated that there is not a bravia model which supports audio via HDMI to HDMI

Escalated to Vaio Support, was told the Vaio did not have an HDMI port? WTF (sorry)

Sent back to electronics support: she reviewed the issue and sent me back to vaio support.

Finally, I was told that I had to download and install updates for both Corel Windvd and Nvidia:

Installed CEAOTH-00230953-1040 for Corel

Installed NVDVID-00220046-1042 for Nvidia

The result was that the trailers have display and sound (exception to this is if I am connected to the internet and Corel windvd automatically downloads trailers which display with no volume)

However, when I get to the movie menu and select play, display is fine, but still no sound. When I try to increase the volume with the remote the following message appears on the lcd only, "unsupported audio signal. please check the device output."

I have also attempted going through control panel/hardware and sound/sound choosing the sony tv-1 in the playback tab, clicking properties, changing default format (tried all) in the advanced tab...same results.

Again, my apologies for the length of this posting. I am sure I provided unnecessary information while leaving out pertinent facts.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Solution
Rofl_My_Waffle,

Thank you for your response. I finally gave up about 1:30 am this morning and went to bed. I was awake by 3:00 am and just could not leave it unresolved. Finally, after being "escalated" back and forth a number of times, around 5:00 am I spoke with a woman at VAIO support who asked if she could take control over the net to resolve the issue (I usually avoid this, but was at that point where I figured what the heck).

She fixed it in about 5 minutes as well as resolving an issue I was having with my VAIO update and a non-sony app.

The fix:

1) Open Corel WinDVD BD (without a movie in the BD player)
2) Right click on the Corel screen and choose setup
3) In the Audio/Video Setup tab select/check:

(Digital out)...

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I think your TV can't decode the sound sorce. Usually with blu-ray it would have Dolby Digital sound which will get decoded by an A/V receiver, blu-ray player or a soundcard.

Problem is, the Nvidia graphics card is not a soundcard. It can pass audio through but can't do any sort of decoding.

See if the manual tells you what audio codecs the TV supports. I would try playing different file types to make sure that is the problem or not.

I think PowerDVD can decode Dolby Digital. Try playing your blu-ray with that.

jwint22

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Rofl_My_Waffle,

Thank you for your response. I finally gave up about 1:30 am this morning and went to bed. I was awake by 3:00 am and just could not leave it unresolved. Finally, after being "escalated" back and forth a number of times, around 5:00 am I spoke with a woman at VAIO support who asked if she could take control over the net to resolve the issue (I usually avoid this, but was at that point where I figured what the heck).

She fixed it in about 5 minutes as well as resolving an issue I was having with my VAIO update and a non-sony app.

The fix:

1) Open Corel WinDVD BD (without a movie in the BD player)
2) Right click on the Corel screen and choose setup
3) In the Audio/Video Setup tab select/check:

(Digital out) Disable audio bypass to external processor

I was a network admin in the early 90s, where did that knowledge go. Couldn't even find the settings and I always use the right mouse button. Oh well.

Hope someone else benefits from this.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.