Solved! Can someone recommend me a 15.6 laptop that compares to the MacbookPro

KevinLK

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Hello,

I am looking for a new 15.6 sized laptop to run Windows 7 and I'm willing to spend as much as I need to, but I would like to spend LESS then what it would cost me to get a Macbook Pro as that is what I am comparing this to. The reason I am looking for a laptop that compares to the Macbook Pro is because I am looking for:

7-8 hour battery life
High resolution LED display (preferably 1080p but 1600 x 900 is good too)
At least as power as the Macbook Pro

Also, some bonuses that aren't necessary but would be cool:

Slot loading DVD drive
aluminum or magnesium build

I don't need Blu-ray at all but if it comes with the laptop without adding much to the price that would be cool.

I have looked through all major manufacturers websites and I have found nothing that really compares to the battery life, display quality, and build quality of the Macbook Pro while still being as powerful. It's looking like the only way for me to actually get a laptop like this is to buy a Macbook Pro and bootcamp Windows 7 on it.

So I'm hoping someone out there can point me towards something I may have missed in the laptop market :)
Thanks for any advice!

Solution
If you're this worried about how the notebook looks, you might as well just buy the Mac. Personally, I think they're ugly machines, but most people think they're hot stuff.

The T500 seems the best choice, to me. Else, I would go for a Dell XPS with a larger-capacity battery.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
According to Macworld you get 4 hours average battery life on 15” mac pro, not 7-8.

If you go for slightly larger 16.4" display, then you can customise Sony FW series?

You can go as high as Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9900 Processor, 7200 rpm hard drivr Or Solid State drive, 8GB memory, 16.4" HD display (1920x1080), ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 graphics with 1GB dedicated video RAM, Large Capacity Battery (VGP-BPL13) up to 5.5 hours. 6.9 Lbs

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644570896&parentCategoryId=16154

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
7-8 hours in windows ain't going to happen easily.

I recently got a Lenovo T500 and 5-6 on power saving mode is pretty good IMO, some people claim 7-8 but I ain't ever got that.

Same specs or better as the 15" macbook pro and a whole lot less money, as well as decent warranty options like, oh, accidental damage cover.

KevinLK

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
@ frozenlead: price doesn't matter much, as long as it's cheaper the the equivealent MBP would be so lets say anything less then $2500.

I have been looking at the Dell Studio XPS which is fits all my needs perfectly except horrible battery life.

I was also looking at the HP Envy, but it's about the same price the MBP anyways, and the battery life is horrible unless you buy the enourmous battery pack to pack along with it.

@ strangestranger: I will look into the T500, but I found that most Lenovo's were pretty bulky in design haha.

@ ibnsinaK That Sony actually looks very nice, probably the closest thing I am going to find. I will definitely look into that one.

PS: Even something with 4-6 hours of battery life is fine, just none of this 1-3 hour stuff.

frozenlead

Distinguished
If you're this worried about how the notebook looks, you might as well just buy the Mac. Personally, I think they're ugly machines, but most people think they're hot stuff.

The T500 seems the best choice, to me. Else, I would go for a Dell XPS with a larger-capacity battery.

Solution

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
The problem is that I do not know of a laptop that you can run at max performance and get over 3 hours. Most of the time it is with a battery saving power scheme.

It is also the reason that mac's get much better y battery life in OSX than in windows, they have more control over power saving in their own OS.

Also, all batteries, no matter how well you use them will die, whether in 1 year or 3 and personally I do not want one where you have to dismantle the laptop to get at it, as well as it not being classified as a user serviable part.

frozenlead

Distinguished

+12000.

KevinLK

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Good point about the batteries, the fact that it has to be sent in to Apple to replace it does suck. Well the Dell XPS was one of the few laptops that looks nice and has the option for a high resolution screen, so I may just have to bite the bullet on battery life (or get the larger capacity battery and deal with a larger size) to get all the other features I need.

wickedsnow

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
http://techie-buzz.com/gadgets-news/sony-vaio-fw510f-cheap-deals.html

here's the specs for $650 bucks.

I have one and the graphics gets a 6.6 on windows 7. It can game fairly well.

# Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T6600
# 2 high-performance processing cores
# 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory expandable to 8GB
# Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
# 16.4" LCD widescreen display
# 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
# ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics
# Dedicated A/V buttons
# Built-in MOTION EYE webcam
# Multimedia card reader
# i.LINK (IEEE 1394) port and 3 USB 2.0 ports
# Built-in Intel® WiFi Link 5100AGN (802.11a/b/g/n)
# Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Gigabit fast Ethernet LAN
# VAIO Media Plus
# Weighs 6.9 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I deleted my previous post by accident... So I will copy and paste what I posted in another forum.

I think you should look at the Sony Vaio NW series, it is comparable to the MacBook Pro.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644647989#specifications

Pros:
Keyboard is very comfortable to use and comparable to the MacBook Air
ATI HD 4570 discrete graphics (if you order from the Sony website)
Build quality is quite durable for an all plastic build
HDMI output
Blu-ray drive
Weighs at 6 pounds (portable enough to carry around campus)
Quite thin for a 15.5" laptop (1.2 inches thick)
Reasonably priced

Cons:
Battery life is quite low, 2-3 hours depending on your brightness
Resolution is 1366x768, but the MacBook Pro 15" is only 1440x900
Speakers are weak with no bass, but that is expected from a laptop
Viewing angle is poor if viewed more than 45 degrees

My Photos:
image00003cj.jpg

image00004.jpg

image00006n.jpg

image00005c.jpg

image00001e.jpg

wickedsnow

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Why the NW series? The one I mentioned is $120 cheaper, has a 4650 a bigger screen from 15.5 to 16.4 It doesnt make sense to go for the nw series. Also, if you look at the keyboard layout on the FW series, it's a metalic finish with black keys, just like the macbook.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Well, I'm just going by his specifications.

1) He said he wanted a laptop around 15.6 inches. 16.4 inches is a lot bigger if you actually compare them in person.
2) 6.9 pounds is a little heavy for a portable laptop. I used to carry a 7 pound Dell laptop with books around campus and it was a pain.
3) The Best Buy link is dead on that page. The deal is from November 29th after Black Friday. Today, is December 14th and I don't see any Sony laptop deals around $650 except for the NW series. The FW series are now $799 or more.