Solved! How does 5 1 work on my Asus P7P55D-E Pro

Lawrence Gummer

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hello,
5.1 Setup on my computer I have orb speakers 2 front 2 rear 1 centre and subwoofer. There appears only 3 plugs to plug into i.e. subwoofer and centre into the one plug (how is this possible) 2 front speakers into 1 plug and 2 rear speakers into 1 plug I don't understand

Solution
You need an audio reciever. A basic 5.1 receiver should cost about $200.

Each speakers plugs into the back of the reciever via speaker wire.
The subwoofer goes in to the reciever via a single subwoofer cable.

From there you need to plug the reciever into the back of your computer with a SPDIF connection, using either an Optical or Coax cable.

Your onboard sound should be good enough because the reciever does all the dolby digital decoding, pretty much a sound card in itself.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
You need an audio reciever. A basic 5.1 receiver should cost about $200.

Each speakers plugs into the back of the reciever via speaker wire.
The subwoofer goes in to the reciever via a single subwoofer cable.

From there you need to plug the reciever into the back of your computer with a SPDIF connection, using either an Optical or Coax cable.

Your onboard sound should be good enough because the reciever does all the dolby digital decoding, pretty much a sound card in itself.

Solution

Lawrence Gummer

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Yes that answers my question but as my computer has been set for the TV only with all the different cards in it to run and store TV direct to my computer I believe I don't need a receiver as there is already one in the computer.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
This is what I mean by receiver. Im pretty sure you can't have one in your computer.
9908-vsxlx51frontbig.jpg

Lawrence Gummer

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I understand about a receiver but on my computer I have all the controls to operate a 5.1 system with graphic equalizer and controls to operation the different speakers does this not mean that I can control everything from the computer not needing a receiver and have been told that I do not need a receiver because I have control through the computer. Can it be done this way or as you suggest an add on receiver is needed.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Your computer has sound processing but it can't power them because it doesn't have an amplifier and it can't run them because it can't accept bear speaker wire.

You would need an A/V Receiver if you want to run any speaker that needs bear speaker wire.