Solved! Problems connecting HP dv9000 to a Sony Trintron TV

kidrad

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hello,I have a HP dv9000 that has a 7-pin s-video output. I want to connect my laptop to my Sony Trintron tv. I bought a adapter that connects the 7-pin s-video to the output then changes it into RCA (http://www.amazon.com/S-VIDEO-7-PIN-TV-OUT-Laptop-Cable/dp/B000S677D4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293496279&sr=1-2). I plug it in and all i see are squiggly lines. Am i doing something wrong?

Solution

For some reason, HP does not support the standard s-sideo spec. I've not been able to find a cable that is compatible so you would have to make your own. The pinout for the HP s-video output is here. From what I can see you would have to wire pins 3 and 4 on your TV to pins 5 and 7 on the HP laptop (plus the grounds)...

bathugeo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

For some reason, HP does not support the standard s-sideo spec. I've not been able to find a cable that is compatible so you would have to make your own. The pinout for the HP s-video output is here. From what I can see you would have to wire pins 3 and 4 on your TV to pins 5 and 7 on the HP laptop (plus the grounds).

Clearly HP just put s-video outputs on their laptops for marketing reasons and don't care if people actually use them.

Solution