Nikon 8700 photos out of focus and faded with flash

cydotbar

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi, I've had my Nikon CoolPix 8700 since 2004 and loved it. However I recently brought a Bower SFD 728N Digital AutoFocus Flashgun and the photos are horrible.
1) they're out of focus and the colors appear to be infuenced by incandescent lighting in that the photos are faded. I did a test shoot without the flash and the photos were fine. With the flash, same thing. I'm thinking now that it's maybe a wrong setting. I have the settings to "Indoor party setting" I know I have to do some more testing on all setttings. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Mabe my 8700 needs a firmware update or something? This is driving me crazy. Anybody have any answers?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If you set the camera at indoor without its proper flashgun then the settings will be off. It iso may be too high and the flash maybe too bright and the apearture/shutter is too wide and slow. All of it is out of sync with the external flash.

Try shooting the camera and flashgun in auto mode and bounce the flashgun up and see if that makes a difference. And have you set the camera to take external flash if that is on its menu?