AX pro microphone fix

dkmb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hi, I figured I would share this with everyone since I have not been able to find a fix for the microphone issue on the ax pro. And I also would not like to send my headset in nor do I believe I can.

After getting ready to chop up my xbox mic and use it insead of the boom mic (I thought that was the problem). But before I did this I investigated the mic jack on the left side. To do this you pry with a screw driver the cap off that has the illuminating logo (thin piece of colored plastic) you then remove the 4 screws and tada you can see the backside speaker connections and everything. Now be careful because the plate is connected with wiring running to the leds so do not be to rough these wires are brittle. With the top removed you will be able to see the back side of the mic jack if you look closely and try plugging in a mic or anything the jack may move back and if it does the glue is your problem. With my mic the glues bond broke resulting in the mic not getting inserted all the way. For my fix I will resort to jb weld or plastic glue something strong enough to hold this in forever.

Pictures upon request. This was quickly typed up and by no means is a fix everything. I do not know if the mic alone has any issues but I do know for a fact that this is a major problem and the glue job is to poor to support the pressure of removing and reinstalling the mic.

DerrewDawg

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I have been trying to work out my problems with the AX Pro as well. After many attempts to have Triton replace/fix the problem with no luck, I resorted to working it myself. Here's what I found in my case...

Checked the continuity of the mic wires from the headset to the controller. To do so, remove the covers on the controller and on the headset, exposing the wires. As mentioned above be careful. Lots of attached very thin wires. Using a meter, check the white wire from the mic jack in the headset to the one in the controller. Then check the ground wire (copper). In my case, there was no continuity, so there is a break in the mic wire somewhere between the headset and controller. To correct this I soldered a new piece of mic wire from the jack to the controller and have it taped along the original wire going from the headset to the controller. Now I have continuity from headset jack to the controller.

Continued checking continuity through the circuit board of the controller. Discovered the switch solder had a break in it for the 'on' position. Added some solder and now have continuity all the way through to the mic jack on the controller.

Checked the continuity of the cable used to connect the controller to the xBox control. This was fine.

Plugged in the cable and checked the continuity from the headset to the tip of the mic cable to be inserted into the xBox control. White wire was fine, other wire was not. But there was continuity up to the jack in the controller and the cable itself was good. Problem must be in the jack.

Looking into the jack on the controller the piece of metal that would normally make contact with the middle section of the plug was flattened down and not making contact. Using a needle I was able to lift of the piece of metal so now it is in contact with the plug. This should complete the continuity from the mic in the headset to the xBox control. I'll be testing this tonight to see if this is the case.

Aside from it being a circuit board problem, check the continuity with a meter. You may be able to find a break in the line somewhere in the same spots I discovered. Hope this helps others...

outbreak86

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Any Chance I could get pictures of this? When you say controller do you mean the Xbox controller or the Volume controller?