Acer Travelmate 2492LMi HELP!

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Just been this laptop to repair,

Was told its been dropped recently and since then the following:

Turns on, acer screen shows, about 2-5 seconds after its powered on it freezes, cant do anything other than turn off by holding the power button or taking the battery off.

Same happens if I press ESC to view post messages etc

Pressing F2 to bios does nothing

POST messages:

BIOS and VGA BIOS info
CPU info
System RAM passed
Cache SRAM passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed

Thats it, nothing more and all of the above messages apear within half a second.

LIGHTS? The HD light continuously flashes from the moment the laptop is turned on, even after it freezes, the HD light continues to flash.

NOISE? Can hear the fan running before it freezes, but as soon as it freezes, the noise stops, all that is shown is the post messages or acer screen (if I dont press ESC)

Suggestions please.... Anything and everything....

atm I dont have much time, but I plan to check the HD by taking it out and connecting to PC using a laptop hd usb cable (I have a sata and IDE cable for this)

So fire away,

Thanks

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I have just tried connecting the HD:

Hitachi
HTS541660J9SA00

Im running Win 7 pro 64bit and it would not install it, any tool I can use to try installing this drive?

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
About your laptop: did someone drop it?

If you want to install windows, you have to do it from the laptop, unless you wanna use it in a tower or something but then you go into complicated stuff.

You need adaptor to install in computer but then not sure if win7 will install properly as laptop Hd might differ from sata HD.

You can try to find something about that on youtube.

Good luck

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
dextermat
About your laptop: did someone drop it?

ANSWER

Boxa786
Was told its been dropped recently

dextermat
If you want to install windows, you have to do it from the laptop, unless you wanna use it in a tower or something but then you go into complicated stuff.

You need adaptor to install in computer but then not sure if win7 will install properly as laptop Hd might differ from sata HD.

Not sure where you got the idea I was asking to install windows? First lets fix the boot/hd issue? Dont worry about how Im connecting it to where Im connecting it.

Anyways, Having just tested the laptop without the hard drive, it post's and boot's just fine, of course it cant load windows, because there's no hard drive. So, based on this, the hard drive is broken/currupt due to the laptop being dropped.

Anyway free/low cost software to install on win7, which is a known great data recovery?

Have a friend with get data back and some other software, testing with him soon, will let you know the outcome, but please post your suggestions...