Solved! Samsung 3D vs Sony 3D??????

alffie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hi, i am planing buying a new 3D HDTV in the coming months, but i am still a bit confused about what brand to choose, i have tested Sony, Samsung and LG, but so far i have better quality and realism in Samsung, it is hard to believe cause Sony have always been a huge brand with high quality products, but Samnsung is still over Samsung in 3D HDTV so far.

I have 2 options...

a) LED 3D Samsung 46 " UN46C7000WFXZA

b) LED 3D Sony 46" KDL-46NX710

I would like to you people to say for your own experience witch one would be better cause i am going to use it as Home Theater and for video games connected to a High End PC.
They are both the same cost, or theres a difference of 50 to 70 bucks but that is careless... They are both LED, 46", 3D, but i want to make a good choice, i want the one with the best quality and the one that really let me get the best out of 3D technology.

Please replay, and justified your answer. I dont want short answers.

Solution

As an AV professional I don't even know where to begin with all the misconceptions in that statment.

1) Even if something is new it doesn't make it better, also LCD technology has been around much longer than plasma displays so LCD isn't the new tech.

2) Modern Plasmas are very reliable, you are far more likely to replace the TV before it dies.

3) Plasma TVs have the...

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

I am giving you a 3rd option: Samsung 3D 50" Plasma PN50C8000

Here are my reasons: cheaper for a larger screen, it is a plasma so it has a faster responce time reducing cross-talk with 3D material (I usually notice cross-talk with LCD/LED tvs, but never have with a plasma), deeper blacks, and more natural colors without a lot of tweeking in the menu.

Otherwise the two TVs you listed are both excellect (I am assuming you ment NX810 for the Sony, there is no NX710 series and the EX710 isn't 3D). I would probably choose the Sony because it has better off angle viewing, but with the Sony you do have to buy a seperate sync transmitter for the glasses (it is built into the Samsungs). The only other thing you may want to consider is the the way the glasses fit, some people don't like the fit of one brand over the other.

Hope that helps,
Casey

alffie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I know Plasma TVs are good too, but come on!!! LED and LCDs appear later than Plasma, LCDs and LEDs are more reliable and i have heard they have better quality than Plasma. And for saving a few bucks to return to the past is not in my plans. Also LED TVs have brighter colors.
I already have and LCD tv and the quality is just stuning thats why i am beting for the LED.

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

As an AV professional I don't even know where to begin with all the misconceptions in that statment.

1) Even if something is new it doesn't make it better, also LCD technology has been around much longer than plasma displays so LCD isn't the new tech.

2) Modern Plasmas are very reliable, you are far more likely to replace the TV before it dies.

3) Plasma TVs have the better picture quality. The top two 2010 HDTVs are the Panasonic VT25 series and the Samsung PNxxC8000 series, both are plasmas. Also the Pioneer KURO was a plasma TV, and is still considered on of the best TVs ever made, it some regards it still beats the VT25 and C8000.

4) It is true that LCD TVs are brighter, but that doesn't make them better. The only time that brightness is needed is under the harsh lighting of the stores. In your home you would never want them set like that, unless you like unnaturally bright pictures with oversaturated colors. When properly calibrated to industry standards the Plasma screens win.

I am not say that LCD/LED TV's are bad, but I just want to make sure you have all the facts before you completely dismiss plasma TVs.

Solution

CCamando

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hey Casey,

What are your views on LED? I see that you mention LCD and plasma. Is it still an unknown thing for long term reliability? From what I have seen the picture is stunning.

"LED HDTVs" are simply LCD HTVS that use LED backlighting instead of traditional florescent backlighting.

Take any and all contrast ratio of "LED HDTVs" with a gain of salt. Let me restate that....

Take any and all contrast ratio of "LED HDTVs" with a mountain of salt. They are excessively overly exaggerated.

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

CCamando,

I agree with jaguarskx, and will expand upon what he said. Take all contrast ratios with a grain of salt. Every manufactuer uses different testing methods to determine the ratio, and then the marketing depart adds a few zero's to make it look better.

Now to answer your questions:

I have no problem with LED tvs. They use less power and are thinner, picture-wise though I dont know if there is a noticeable difference between between a standard LCD and an LED backlit one when set properly. True they do have brighter image, but you're never going to want your screen that bright, unless you're watching tv outside in direct sunlight.

As far as reliability goes, I can't give you a definate anwser. I haven't heard anything negitive about there reliability, and from my understanding LEDs should have a longer life span then typical florescent lighting, but that doesn't mean another component will not die before the backlight does.

Casey