Occasional spark/burst/pop like kind of sound coming from Sony HDTV

remy06

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hi,

I hope I can find some solutions here.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL32V5500 HDTV which I have been using for a year. Besides watching television programmes, I am using it as a computer monitor as well.

Everything was fine until recently my computer graphic card gave way and died. I was using Geforce 8600GT then and I've got it replaced with 9500GT.

After the replacement I reconnect my CPU back to the LCD TV and since then, I've been experiencing occasional sparks/burst/ or pop-like kind of sound coming from the TV.

This only happens when I'm using it as a computer monitor. No noise was heard when I'm watching TV with it.

Can anyone please advise on what is the issue?Or how can I determine the problem?Is it due to the new graphic card or the TV?

My setup is:
- CPU connected to LCD TV using this DVI to HDMI cable, and plugged into the HDMI port on the TV.
- Other than CPU, my cable TV set top box is connected to it as well to watch cable television.

My usage is:
- 40% television
- 60% computer usage due to work and games.

Some other questions:
- Is it true that it is not advisable to use the LCD TV as a computer monitor?I've heard from people that it damages your TV...

LCD TV model: Sony Bravia KDL32V5500

the 9500GT probably has a bad solder connection, make sure everything is clean on the connectors, wiggle the connections from the computer to the TV one at a time to see if you can narrow it down to one cable or connection. tap on the 9500GT circuit board with a chopstick, to see if the problem happens when the card is vibrated. this is a good way to narrow down the location of a bad solder connection.

remy06

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I've tried to check the connection already based on your suggestions but didn't notice much.

The vendor was kind to allow a 1-to-1 exchange for another card to try.

This time,the spark/pop-like sound seems to appear less frequently after monitoring it for few days. I've also noticed that it only happens when I'm running full screen gaming applications. When I'm on PC desktop or TV mode, I didn't notice the sound...

Any ideas?