Solved! Regular Quality TV / Movies to HD Quality - Networks do it, can we?

DGalt

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I guess this is kind of an odd question, but since I'm trying to get rid of my cable and replace it with Netflix and all the media I already have this is a question that has been bugging me.

Take, for example, Law and Order played on TNT HD. They can play an episode from 1996, an episode that I can't find any HD version of (either on Netflix or the web), and play it in near-HD quality (I say near-HD, b/c if you get up close or pay close attention you can see that it isn't truly HD).

How does this work?

And, more importantly, is there any to get higher quality out of these older TV shows (and movies, but my concern right now is TV shows)

Solution
Many TV shows are recorded on film not HD video. They can do an HD transfer of any program that is filmed since that still has much higher resolution than HD video.
With material that is not on film they can use a video scaler to simulate an HD picture.
They use very sophisticated ones that are far too expensive for your application. When you show SD material on an HD TV or play a DVD on a player that has an upscaler built in it does the same thing in lower quality.
Many TV shows are recorded on film not HD video. They can do an HD transfer of any program that is filmed since that still has much higher resolution than HD video.
With material that is not on film they can use a video scaler to simulate an HD picture.
They use very sophisticated ones that are far too expensive for your application. When you show SD material on an HD TV or play a DVD on a player that has an upscaler built in it does the same thing in lower quality.

Solution