Solved! Help with picking a gaming/college laptop

sniper17

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
1_What is your budget?
1200ish
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are
considering?
15-16", but it has to be a little portable for carrying on a college campus. Preferably around 7lbs.
3_What screen resolution do you want?
Don't care
4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
See #2, a little poetable
5_How much battery life do you need?
2 hours sounds right, not sure what do u guys suggest?
6_Do you want to play games with your laptop?
If so then please list the games that you want
to with the settings that you want for these
games. (Low,Medium or High)?
All modern games like bf, mw2, coh, etc. Preferably high.
7_What other tasks do you want to do with
your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching
movies, Etc.)
photo, music, movies, Photoshop, word processing
8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you
need? Like 250+
9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to
them.
I'm not
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I would say for 3 years, maybe 4 
11_What kind of Optical drive do you need?
DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Don't care
12_Please tell us about the brands that you
prefer to buy from them and the brands that
you don't like and explain the reasons.
Whatevers best
13_What country do you live in?USA  
14_Please tell us any additional information if
needed.
Again I'm using it for gaming AND college so please help

Solution
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G60VX-Gaming-Notebook.21310.0.html
"Before we look at the battery life, we should occupy ourselves with the G60VX's energy requirement. The notebook allows itself between 23.2 and 29.7 watts in idle mode, which still is a moderate power consumption. The G60VX gets even more thirsty under load and drains between 86.8 and 116.9 watts out of the mains. The consumption reduces itself to 0.2 in a deactivated state and in standby mode to a (too high) 0.7 watts. Note: The big adapter included didn't only heat up properly with up to 59.4°C but also emitted a disagreeable beep tone every now and then during our tests. If this is a general problem or if we simply had bad luck with our prototype can't...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G60VX-Gaming-Notebook.21310.0.html
"Before we look at the battery life, we should occupy ourselves with the G60VX's energy requirement. The notebook allows itself between 23.2 and 29.7 watts in idle mode, which still is a moderate power consumption. The G60VX gets even more thirsty under load and drains between 86.8 and 116.9 watts out of the mains. The consumption reduces itself to 0.2 in a deactivated state and in standby mode to a (too high) 0.7 watts. Note: The big adapter included didn't only heat up properly with up to 59.4°C but also emitted a disagreeable beep tone every now and then during our tests. If this is a general problem or if we simply had bad luck with our prototype can't definitely be said.
So liegt die maximale The G60VX's battery life turns out overall meager. The maximum runtime with minimum brightness and maximum energy savings mechanism is 2 hours and 16 minutes (BatteryEater Reader's Test). Turning up the display brightness to its maximum and surfing with WLAN in moderate energy savings settings, lets the G60VX already runs out of breath after 1 hour and 50 minutes. Merely 1 hour and 20 minutes is even possible at DVD rendering. Therefore, it's not really a wonder that the notebook runs out of juice after 65 minutes under full load and without energy savings mechanisms (BatterEater's Classic Test)."

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/laptops/2009/07/30/asus-g60vx-gaming-laptop-review/6
"standard, the G60Vx is supplied with a 6-cell battery. We tested how much power it would provide when gaming by charging it fully, disconnecting from the mains, and then loading Crysis. We then let our hapless character die and auto-reload over and over, recording how long it took for the battery to be depleted.

With this test, the G60Vx gave us 48 minutes of battery life, which really is quite poor. As the G60Vx weighs in at just over 3.3kg (plus extra for the power brick), it really isn't the most portable of laptops, and we suspect anyone seriously looking to buy this machine isn't thinking too hard about mobility."

So overall its not much due to having GTX 260M

Solution

wolftux

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I'm thinking your requirements might contradict themselves. If you're bent on getting the performance required to play those games, you're probably not going to hit your mark for portability. Likewise, if you hit the mark on portability, the performance is probably going to suffer, especially in the battery life area. My suggestion would be to perhaps ease back on your gaming graphic settings a little bit, and split the difference between portability and battery life.

sniper17

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hey everyone,
I'm finally typing this on my PC vs my iphone so i can give a bit more detail. All I want is a PC for college that is a laptop and maintains SOME portability, gives me about 2 hours of battery life when i am not gaming, and can perform admirably whilst playing modern PC games.