Anyone know how to enter the recovery partition on a gateway ML3109?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Gateway Ml3109 Laptop - Vista

I know it has it because I was just going to reinstall the operating system and saw it there. When I boot it only gives me 3 options:

Boot menu F2
Bios settings F10
PXE Boot F12

I can't do anything in the bios but select the boot device not the partition. Boot menu does the same thing and the PXE boot is for booting without the hard drive.

techshui

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Try tapping the Del key. Also try F11, if neither of those work, then try these combos below:

Fn+F2
Fn+F8
Fn+F10
Fn+F11
Fn+F12
Shift+F2
Shift+F8
Shift+F10
Shift+F11
Shift+F12

Remember to hit these key combos before Vista loads, only when you sure the keys were pressed, cross it off the list on move on. When you do determine the correct key combo, please post back here, it will help others with the same question.

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I tried all of those combos, none seem to work. What if I delete the primary partition so the partition with the recovery console on it is the only one left. It would have to boot into it then right?

techshui

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
It would seem logical, but no, it won't boot into the Recovery Partition if the Operating System (Primary) partition is deleted. It simply will have no active partition left, and default to DVD-ROM, or give you a system boot error (i.e. No operating system found).

What you need is a Boot loader, a program that allows you to bypass the usual partition, and even that's not guaranteed to work, but it's worth a try. GAG is a good example (http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html). It contains a file named cdrom.iso which can be burned using Nero, InfraRecorder or a similar ISO program.

Set up your BIOS to boot from the new GAG CD, and search for extended partitions to boot from.

If all else fails you can call GateWay tech support at 1-800-395-3817, give them your model number and they will tell you the key combo for entering the Recovery Partition.

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I tried calling that number and it kept hanging up. I tried gateways support but they said they no longer support it because MPC corp. bought gateways professional division. This is ridiculous. Am I wasting my time trying to get into the recovery partition? Should I just reinstall a fresh os and find the drivers myself?

techshui

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
If you have a Vista Reinstall CD, than by all means use that, it'll probably be faster than troubleshooting this Recovery Partition. ;)

Are you quite sure there's a Recovery Partition on your laptop in the first place? :??: If not, this could be a wild goose chase. To verify that you have a Recovery Partition, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Type DISKPART in the prompt Window, then type SEL DISK 0

Type LIST PART, and copy and paste the list that appears (right click the title bar of the command Window). Please paste it on this thread.

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I know there is a recovery partition because I was just going to reinstall the os and then I saw it listed under the partitions and it was even named recovery. I hate gateway their support was useless. I'm just going to go ahead and use the CD and save my self the headache of trying to figure this out. If anyone reads this and knows what had to be done to get into the recovery console I would still be curious to know what the solution was. Thanks to everyone who posted and tried to help.

anywheretom

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I found this thread while working on a customers computer whose hard drive had crashed. I was able to successfully clone the recovery partition along with the hard drive data but the drive would not last through cloning the main partition. I went into Gparted and made the Windows partition a valid NTFS partition. After that I was able to use GAG and complete the full factory restore from the restore partition. It worked like a charm. Using GAG was a little quirky. It didn't list the recovery partition, but I created a new operating system and was able to choose the first NTFS file system and it was the correct one. It makes sense now after the fact. Hopefully this helps someone at some point.

gbanfield

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

This works for about every make Iv had issues with.
Right click "my computer" > manage
Go down to disk management
Right click D: and set it to, mark partition as active
Reboot and it should boot into the recovery partition.

FireEyes123

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Looked everywhere, tried everything. This worked. Cheers man.

zaava1

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Thank you so much gbanfield. I followed your instructions and got right into recovery partition. I love Tom's Hardware for all the free advice I get while fixing my friends' computers.

tonygarza

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
To answer your original question: <ALT>+<F10> during POST:

Before performing a restore operation, please check the BIOS settings.
1 Check to see if Gateway disk-to-disk recovery is enabled or not.
2 Make sure the D2D Recovery setting in Main is Enabled.
3 Exit the BIOS utility and save changes. The system will reboot.
Note: To activate the BIOS utility, press <F2> during POST.

SOURCE: http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/gateway_netbook/gateway.pdf

hats off to google

mrg3dit2002

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

thanks!!

Dracos2788

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014

Fn+F2 worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.