Acer Aspire AS8940G-6865 MXM type

Solution
I believe you have summed it up nicely. That's all I was going to say.

Unless you disassemble the laptop in question or know for a FACT (via manufacturer / OEM specification) what it uses I would just forget about it and move on. Ebay is about 60-75% reliable in regard to telling if a particular part will work in the desired machine.

So the safest thing to do is wait until a machine with the graphics you want becomes available and buy that. Or you go the barebones route (Compal, Clevo, ect)

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

Well, not all laptops have them, surprisingly. So I want to ask b4 I do my investigation, to see if I can save myself the trouble.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I thought they were backwards compatible, MXM i card will work i an MXM II slot. I've never tried it and I have no intention of ever trying it.

You may be dealing with slight dimension and thermal issues if not replacing with a card for the same model or series of laptop.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

I've done some research. Yes, I know they're backwards compatible. The issue here is, not all laptop manufacturers use them in their laptops. Even the ones with gaming video cards. The info on the card manufacturer's page is not exactly reliable either, as I've seen an GTX 280m for MXM II, so... Anw, any more ideas guys?? I'm hoping to be able to hop on the DX11 bandwagon when nvidia mobile parts come out. :D

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I believe you have summed it up nicely. That's all I was going to say.

Unless you disassemble the laptop in question or know for a FACT (via manufacturer / OEM specification) what it uses I would just forget about it and move on. Ebay is about 60-75% reliable in regard to telling if a particular part will work in the desired machine.

So the safest thing to do is wait until a machine with the graphics you want becomes available and buy that. Or you go the barebones route (Compal, Clevo, ect)

Solution