Hooking up Parametric EQ to PC Sound Card

krbuell

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hi, guys. I'm hoping you can help me out again. I do transcription, and I followed a suggestion from an earlier question and purchased a parametric equalizer to dial out noise in audio files. I purchased an Alto Q 5-band parametric EQ. I have it connected to the line out from my PC, but no go. If I connect the same line out to Alto S6 mixer, all is fine, I have audio to my headphones, but connecting to EQ, then to mixer (headphone amp on order, so using mixer temporarily for the headphone out), I get no sound. Is the problem that my onboard audio (Asus A8V MB, Realtek AC97, 5.1) does not send out enough signal? Any suggestions? Would upgrading to something like Xonar ST or E-MU 0404 or E-MU 1212 put out enough signal to line out to the EQ, then to headphone amp? I need something to process sound coming out of my PC. I've searched for weeks on the Internet and all I can find is topics relating to recording and EQ into your PC. I need it out of PC, similar to as you would set up a home hifi, that you would hook your stereo and/or amplifier, then EQ, then speakers (in this case, headphones). Software EQs suck, and they don't integrate with my transcription software, so I need a hardware component to do EQ real time. HELP!!!

The Audio from the Asus is a Stereo 3 conductor plug. The Audio into the EQ is Mono 2 conductor plug? or a balanced 3 pin connector?
It seems that there may be a mixup of the conductors going into the EQ. The Asus output has to be split into two mono channels,(you can do that with a stereo to dual mono patch cord) and then only one mono signal can be connected to a single input of the EQ. The signal level should be usable. But there have been a lot of troubles with Asus audio out, that's for sure.
I think that if you get a "stereo to double mono Y patch cord", you will be up and running. You can buy one at radio shack I think.