Do these Cheap Netbooks Work?

CaptainDirk

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Newegg has 2 netbooks for $199: http://tinyurl.com/7ufcoo (at least as of this writing and my wife wants a "laptop" for one thing: internet.

All she does is Yahoo email, Facebook chatting and watch exercise videos. I showed her the pictures and the size and she likes it--small enough to store in the kitchen cupboard between aerobics sessions I guess. :)

Seems to me from the specs, that these machines should be sufficient for these basic needs.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

PS: The DIY model won't be correct for my needs if it will take 3 hours to assemble, but the other model appears to come already built.

Outlander_04

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 18, 2008
Im travelling now with a 10 inch HP netbook.

It works fine for email , facebook etc , but the small screen and low resolution is a problem . Some software like the stuff for my canon camera wont work because it cant recognise the screen res .
No worries I can save pics and thats all I really need .

But if I wasnt travelling and didnt want as light as possible I would spnd more on something a but larger and save the eye strain

CaptainDirk

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

It's hard on the eyes? It says 1024x600 which with 10" screen appears to be pretty small pixels, right?

Well the keyboard they claim is "95% Full size 83-key Keyboard." Is it not really so 'full size' as that?

Any experience with DIY webbooks? Just wondering if it will take me a full day just to build it. :)

Thanks!

CaptainDirk

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Those are barebones, meaning you have to add parts yourself like memory.

aha. That's the catch. I had not noticed that. Thank you!

I bought my wife a MSI Wind U100 for $279 a few months back and it comes with everything except a cd-rom.

It also comes in several colors like pink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152121&cm_re=msi_wind-_-34-152-121-_-Product

Hmm, interesting. You agree with the reviews that the battery is pretty UNimpressive?

Thanks!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, I use a PSP instead of a netbook. Limited resolutin, small screen, and typing can be a pain. Costs about the same too. =D

Stop dicking around and just buy a prebuilt 10" already. I doubt you'll regret it (and if you do, well, they're bloody cheap).