Solved! Broken laptop, replacement needed, have parts

Doormat

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
My laptop (inspiron 1525) recently broke. I'm looking for a replacement but I also realize that I just bought 2 sticks of 2gb memory, a large laptop hdd, and I could still probably remove the CPU and use that. So I'm looking to save money by using these parts if I can.

1_What is your budget?
I'd like to stay under 1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Size isn't a big deal, needs to be portable but I don't need to carry it around constantly

3_What screen resolution do you want?
at least 15 inches

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
desktop replacement but still able to be carried of course

5_How much battery life do you need?
at least 3 hours with light use (browsing web etc.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'd like to be able to play current games on medium settings but this isnt a huge deal

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Browsing the web, scientific computing, virtualization, code editing, photo/video editing, watching movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I have a 500+ GB hard drive (SATA) already.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
none

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
at least 2 years, hopefully longer

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I supposed I could pull my dvd writer out of my old laptop, don't need anything better

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
as long as it works, I'm happy

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Thanks

Solution
Hold onto the HDD and memory, as it may come in handy. I don't know about you, but tearing down and then putting a laptop is a PITA in my experience, so you might as well see what you can get without taking out the CPU. Plus, if you get something new, you're voiding the warranty if you crack into it.

Anyways, from what I have seen, I think a laptop from Toshiba, Dell, HP, etc... with a new Core i7 mobile chip would suit you well in the long run. I'm not sure how hot they run, but I've heard nothing but good reviews about them. Specifically, I'd check out some models from either Toshiba or HP, as they seem to have the best deals on the mobile i7's.
Hold onto the HDD and memory, as it may come in handy. I don't know about you, but tearing down and then putting a laptop is a PITA in my experience, so you might as well see what you can get without taking out the CPU. Plus, if you get something new, you're voiding the warranty if you crack into it.

Anyways, from what I have seen, I think a laptop from Toshiba, Dell, HP, etc... with a new Core i7 mobile chip would suit you well in the long run. I'm not sure how hot they run, but I've heard nothing but good reviews about them. Specifically, I'd check out some models from either Toshiba or HP, as they seem to have the best deals on the mobile i7's.

Solution