Broken Laptop Screen?

Collapse

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Hi all. First I would like to apologize if I am asking this question in the wrong category.

Here's the problem: I recently discovered that my laptop (only 1yo, HP dv2700) screen has suddenly stopped working properly. To make a long story short, I think I may have cracked the screen internally, as there are no external damages to the screen. It still displays everything on 1/3 of the screen (pic below), but the bottom half is nothing but gray/white/black horizontal lines. I have checked the mobo/gfx card and they work completely fine. I am thinking of replacing the screen myself.

My questions are:

1) Is it my screen that needs to be replaced? Or is it something else that is causing the problem - i.e. the inverter?

2) HP Tech support wants $400+ to fix it for me. Would it be wise for me to buy non-OEM parts off eBay and DIY in replacing the screen (that is, if it IS the screen that's causing the problem)? It would only cost me about $100 or so.

3) Are non-OEM screens reliable in general?

Thanks for your help

http://www.twitpic.com/q7ssr

Solution
It is the screen and not the invertor. If the invertor was bad you would not get any illumination. The issues are are you comfortable with attempting the repair yourself. Replacing the screen involves removal the front bezel, the dispay assembly from the computer, the hinges and the display panel itself. The invertor and the lamp assembly are attached to the display panel. Try to get a display panel with the lamp and inverotor attached, since removal of the lamp asembly and invertor can damage the display panel. You hat to make certain you get the correct display panel, since they are not returnable. TThe non-oem display panel can be as reliable as the oem ones since they may be manufactured by the same company. Good luck.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
It is the screen and not the invertor. If the invertor was bad you would not get any illumination. The issues are are you comfortable with attempting the repair yourself. Replacing the screen involves removal the front bezel, the dispay assembly from the computer, the hinges and the display panel itself. The invertor and the lamp assembly are attached to the display panel. Try to get a display panel with the lamp and inverotor attached, since removal of the lamp asembly and invertor can damage the display panel. You hat to make certain you get the correct display panel, since they are not returnable. TThe non-oem display panel can be as reliable as the oem ones since they may be manufactured by the same company. Good luck.

Solution

Collapse

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Awesome! I just bought one off ebay and installed it myself. Now it's all fine! Thanks for ur help :)

Michael Hyman

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Hi, in most cases a screen that is partially working is usually a faulty screen. I am a tech at www.nylaptopparts.com and have found this to be the case 99% of the time so in most likeliness you will need to replace the screen. It is not that difficult but you should first look at some websites for instructions on removal and replacing your screen before purchasing a new screen. Hope this helps somewhat.

Hi :)

You realise this thread is 4 years old...as a guess hes got a new screen by now, lol

All the best Brett :)