I Need some help buying a new laptop.

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Basically I want something thats very fast and effective. I currently have a Windows Vista Dell Inspiron laptop and it's way too slow for me so I'm upgrading to a new more powerful laptop. I mostly use my computer for Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Windows Media Player (with G Force visualizations), Microsoft Office, and Mozilla Firefox. I would like your opinions on this new laptop:

HP DV6T
$1188
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
Webcam Only
Intel Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
HP Long Life Notebook Battery
2-year HP Care Pack Pick Up and Return Service

Here are some of my concerns is the Intel Core i7 720qm strong enough to run all the programs I mentioned above smoothly, Is the 4 GB sufficient to run everything at under 30% memory usage, Will the GT 230m be able to run all of the graphics of windows 7 and windows media player's G Force visuals smoothly?

:sol:

Solution
4g of ram is plenty...

processor is nice. although I would prefer a ~2ghz quad-core for gaming / multi-tasking. Your most imminent bottleneck is either the processor or vid card in this rig.

Nonetheless I think it is overkill for gaming or multi-tasking.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Yes. Most definitely yes. Personally, I think it's overkill. You can play Crysis on low on that graphics card. You could play the G Force visualizations on virtually any integrated CPU these days. The core i7 models are the highest performing processors available for laptops. If I were to buy this laptop, I would be buying it for gaming. What you intend to do is not as taxing. 4GB RAM is sufficient.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
4g of ram is plenty...

processor is nice. although I would prefer a ~2ghz quad-core for gaming / multi-tasking. Your most imminent bottleneck is either the processor or vid card in this rig.

Nonetheless I think it is overkill for gaming or multi-tasking.

Solution