Line In Audio Distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woad

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer. All of the sounds from the computer work fine but when I try to play what's coming through the line in I get crackling distortion. Any ideas on how to fix this?

G

Sure you're not putting it in via the MIC input. Also check line level controls in Audio and explore the submenus -- I've done this myself and wondered why the levels were so low/high when inputting audio.

Woad

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I know I've got it in the right input. I used this same setup before I installed Windows 7 and everything worked perfectly. I've already tried changing the sound levels in the mixer and looked through the submenus but I didn't find anything that seemed to help. Do you have any specific suggestions for what to look for in the submenus?

G

Try going into Volume Control, Options,Properties and see if the "adjust volume for" option is set to Recording or Playback.

It's easy to overlook that one.

Woad

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I'm having trouble finding Volume Control. When I right click on the sound icon in the task bar I've got "Volume Control Options" but I can't find anything that's just Volume Control.

G

It may depend on whether you have XP, Vista, Win7 -- but there will probably be a control that allows you to select Playback Volume rather than Recording Volume.

Properties should be on the list when you click Options.

Also see if any sound utilities came with the motherboard drivers (assuming it's onboard sound on a desktop).

May 17, 2018
Created an account just to respond to this because after months of new cables and different devices trying to figure out what was causing this issue I figured out how to solve it.

In Windows 7 go to Recording Devices by either clicking on the sound icon at the far right on the task bar or typing "Sound" into the Start Menu search bar. Navigate to the Recording Devices tab and right-click on the "Line In" option and choose properties or double click it. Change the tab to "Enhancements" and uncheck "Disable all Sound Effects" if its checked, then check "DC Offset Cancellation," then click Apply at the bottom.

This is all I had to do and its impact was immediate. I hope this works for others and that it works for other operating systems as well, as I only have Windows 7 to base it off of. I made sure to leave a comment here because this was the first result when I searched on Google and despite it being so old it didn't solve my problem! My hope is that others in the future will come across my answer in the pursuit of solving this issue as I did in my search.

Status
Not open for further replies.