Wiping brand new laptop a bad idea?

tranceFusion

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
My wife picked up a cheap Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7 at a one-day sale.

It is loaded up with all kinds of pre-installed garbage.. Toolbars, Trial software, Toshiba utilities, etc.

I'd like to just re-install using another copy of windows 7 and have a fresh install. All of the drivers seem available on the Toshiba website.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Is there anything I need to keep? Are the power saving tools and other stuff Toshiba pre-installs actually necessary?

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

No not really, and if they are you can re-install them again. Trust me you won't be displeased with a clean install.

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

You might want to briefly touch base with Toshiba and find out if will have any adverse effect on your warranty. Plus, since the system came with OEM software, Toshiba is your primary support option. Last but not least, the laptop may have one or more hidden partitions on it, one of which contains the files necessary to reinstall the OS, unless they gave you a DVD, which they probably didn't since most OEM's don't do anymore unless you order it and pay extra.

Look b4 you leap...

tranceFusion

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
They didn't give me a DVD. I created a series of recovery discs, however.

Is it possible to re-install windows and still use the recovery partition in the future if needed by downloading the toshiba recovery software?

Is the recovery partition necessary if using the recovery discs (I am assuming everything is on the recovery discs since it required 3 single layer dvds)?

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you use the Toshiba recovery discs it will put back on all of the crapware you want to remove. You need to use a clean copy of Windows 7 which you can easily download from the Internet.

tranceFusion

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
well i'd like to be able to get the crapware back if they hassle me in the event of a warranty issue.

I didn't know whether it would be possible to keep the recovery partition with a fresh copy of win 7. How is the partition used? Can I just boot to that partition and have it recover if necessary?

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

I don't know about Toshiba, but on my Dell as long as you didn't touch that recovery partition it was always there. I deleted it though, so now it will be a hassle putting XP back on it.