evelette

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Hey everyone,

I was considering of purchasing the HP DV8t but I have yet to hear anything about it. I don't know too much about hardware, but it looks pretty rock solid to me. My only concern is the GPU. Do you think that it will run Starcraft 2 and SWTOR when released at a decent setting?

I am also performing photoshop, CAD, 3Ds max on this computer if i get it.

My versus are:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8662-built-clevo-m860tu-custom-gaming-laptop-p-2564.html

this is a duo core, but looks damn good and the GPU is nice

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g51ja1-p-2674.html I really don't want to spend the cost on this one, but if its worth it...its worth it

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv8tqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv8tqe_series

The HP looks the best due to the price and specs. However if someone feels that for basic/general photoshop, CAD, and 3ds max while gaming casually is not worth a core i-7 but merits a nice GPU then please let me know which of the 2 you advise.

I really need help soon. I must order something within a few days so please help me!

evelette

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
More Information

1_What is your budget? $700-$1200

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" minimum

3_What screen resolution do you want? as high as I can get

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? yes

5_How much battery life do you need? 3+ hours with general use

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I will be playing SWTOR when it releases. Sims 3 maybe and I may install WoW although I quit

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) I will be working with photoshop CS4, CAD, 3ds max.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 320gb -500gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? dvd-rom/burner

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't know because I have been a MAC purchaser for years. Mac however is sucking at updating their laptops when we have laptops with core-i7s and better GPU/RAM for the price.

13_What country do you live in? Ireland, but will be buying in US (student abroad)

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

read above post (first post)

evelette

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I know it is the better choice however I was preferring to not flex up to $1500.00. I placed a reserve on xoticpc.com today, but it is so expensive I feel.

G

Rumour is hp is releasing gaming version of HDX18 for christmas with gt260m

evelette

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for keeping this in consideration. I ended up ordering the Asus G51J. It seems more solid and 3D driven than the HP. I heard very mixed opinions of the HP along with problems which I didn't want to experience.

Now I am just curious when the G51J 3d version is coming out and how much!