HTPC to older HDTV via component - help

russianlion

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have a decent HTPC I cobbled together (Core 2 Duo with an Nvidia 8800GTS inside) but the money isn't there to replace the TV as of yet. I have an older panasonic rear projection HDTV - 1080i with a free component input. I happen to also have a grandtec PC-to-TV converter which I am trying to make work but tweaking the resolution is killing me. I just can't find anything near acceptable. I realize TV's as monitors are going to have their limitations(especially mine) but is there a better way to run component from a PC to a TV? Are there any guides or tips out there for how to proceed to get the best picture possible?

Thanks in advance all.

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It is very difficult to get an analog connection looking good. DVI and HDMI resolved the tweaking needed to get the display looking right.

Anyway, there's a program called Powerstrip that you'll neeed to download. Get it here. This program has oodles of tweaks to get your TV display looking as good as possible. Hopefully this can get you by until you get a DVI/HDMI television.

Make sure you are running at 1920x1080 @ 30Hz for your 1080i connection and then try powerstrip to fine tune everything.

russianlion

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Thanks for the help. I know this is a bit of an uphill battle but like I said, I am know it won't be perfect. I don't quite understand how my Xbox 360 can produce such a beautiful picture on this TV...small text is razor sharp...but I have been unable to come anywhere near that quality with my PC.

TRENDING THREADS