Any decent and cheap 2.1 systems or simply wait for 5.1 or more?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, I recently bought a HDTV (about time if you ask me). I'm far from being an audiophile, but even I do realize that built-in speakers aren't great so I was thinking about getting a sound system for my setup. At first I though I might just get a decent 2.1 system that I could plug in my TV's optical output thinking such system might be cheaper since I wouldn't need HDMI inputs, but soon realized it isn't really so.

So, since I'm a computer geek and not an audio/TV geek, I decided to ask the Tom's community for advices. Any suggestions on a cheap, but decent 2.1 system or do you suggest I just start saving and go for a "real" 5.1 system?

Solution
music: an enthusiast will have a 2.1

movie and games : 4.0-5.1-7.1 will be an enthusiast.

the watts mean obviously

it tells us how loud it can go, but should always be compared with sensitvity (shows how loud it plays when the speaker is powered with 1 watt, and measured at 1m

so remeber seeing a speaker with high wattage, should really mean nothing to us, without showing the sensitivity.

since ure only watching 6-8 feet away, buying a spekaer under 100watts with a sensible sentivity will be fine.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
u could go for some creative lines.

do not go for logitech

if ure a bit brave, u could go get the razer mako, excellent speakers (however requieres gd space around them)

a 'real' 5.1 ??? u mean a home cinema???when u say 'real' all i can think is active loudspeakers, they have in concerts lol (at least 1000watts)

but anyway, if ure really into movies and if u do play games, then ye i guess u could go for a 5.1, but the only 5.1 i can really think is the logitech even thuogh i hate that company, i guesss u really cant go wrong with those. but your choice tbf

if ure stuck with 2.1 then u can do a virtual suuround sound, with dolby digital

some sound cards have dolgy digital live, so u can ouput any singal over 2 channels into 5.1 virtual surround.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
By "real system", I simply meant something 5.1 or above because I feel 2.1 would probably not be considered a "real" solution by any enthusiast.

On my TV I mostly watch movies and play video games, but I also watch TV. As for the wattage of the speakers, I never truly understood what it implied, I assume it rates how loud they can play without distortion? If so I don't need much as my TV is only 6-8 ft from my couch and I don't like loud sound anyway.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
music: an enthusiast will have a 2.1

movie and games : 4.0-5.1-7.1 will be an enthusiast.

the watts mean obviously

it tells us how loud it can go, but should always be compared with sensitvity (shows how loud it plays when the speaker is powered with 1 watt, and measured at 1m

so remeber seeing a speaker with high wattage, should really mean nothing to us, without showing the sensitivity.

since ure only watching 6-8 feet away, buying a spekaer under 100watts with a sensible sentivity will be fine.

Solution

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I have a Creative 2.1 system that I have had for a few years that I use for my computer and small analogue television. (I am meaning to upgrade!). It was less than $300AUD and may be too cheap and dodgy for what you want, but it does me just fine.

To be honest, if you really want good sound for your television and other sound equipment, save your money for a good 5.1 system .

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Honestly, a good 2.1 system will absolutely blow away a comparably priced 5.1 system for sound quality. I have a $2500 2.1 system hooked to my PC, and I'd take it over any computer surround setup on the market. The real question is what you are after. Do you want the feeling of surround, or do you want the highest quality possible?