What is the feature called that allows 5.1 audio bypass to audio out?

ericmcintire

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Okay so here's what I want to do, I want to hook up my Cable box, Blu ray, xbox and computer up to a new tv (I haven't purchased yet, waiting to find out what this feature is called to look for it). I want there to be an output on the television (hdmi or toslink is fine) that I can plug into my receiver that will allow all the 5.1 signals from the a fore mentioned units to pass through to the receiver so their intended full surround sound will be available and not downgraded to 2.1. I know this can be done on some televisions but I don't know what this feature is called or how to look for it. Please do not tell me to hook up the components separately to the TV and the receiver, I don't want to, nor does my girlfriend comprehend the idea of turning on 3 separate devices and choosing 2 separate inputs just to watch a dvd or a TV show. I looked around and saw articles on what I am trying to do but none really told me what the feature is called or how to look for it. Thanks in advance!

Solution

HDMI does have the capability of carrying 5.1 surround sound, its a matter of if the TV can output that sound after it receives it. Just make sure that the TV does have the capability of 5.1 Channel Audio output through either the outputs itself, Optical cable, HDMI, or other means.

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

If you do not have an external stereo 5.1 surround sound system, and it is going to be played within the speakers in the TV, you will be forced into 2.1 (or even 2.0). TV's do not usually hold the High End sound capabilities of separate audio systems.

Heres an example of what to look for when looking for your TV:

Sony 46" KDL-46EX700

Audio Features
5.1 Channel Audio Out Yes
5.1ch Through Out (Handycam) Yes
Alternate Audio (Digital) yes
Audio Out Variable/Fixed
Auto Mute (on no signal) Yes
Auto SAP 20FM/10AM
Clear Voice Yes
Dolby® Dolby® Digital
Invisible Speaker (w/Sound Elevation) Yes
S-Master Yes
Sony Original Surround Yes
Sound Enhancer Yes
Sound Mode Dynamic, Standard, Clear Voice, Custom
SteadySound® Automatic Volume Control Yes
Stereo System MTS
Surround Effect Cinema, Music, Live Sports, Game

ericmcintire

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Thank you :) Yes I understand that I need to have the 5.1 surround system, I should have specified that. I do have a 5.1 receiver with speakers around my room. I plugged a bunch of HDMI into it but when I output via the TOSlink to my receiver, all the 5.1 channels are downgraded to 2.1. is the 5.1ch through out the feature I'm looking for that will allow 5.1 channels of sound pass through all of the hdmi inputs and out the TOSlink output?

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

HDMI does have the capability of carrying 5.1 surround sound, its a matter of if the TV can output that sound after it receives it. Just make sure that the TV does have the capability of 5.1 Channel Audio output through either the outputs itself, Optical cable, HDMI, or other means.

Solution