Canon fd lens adaptor to use on canon digital

drogheda20

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
i need an adaptor to use on my canon 500d. i have an older af lens.70-300 macro. it worked great on canon 35 mm film camera. is there an adaptor i can use so it will function on my digital camera.

cin19

Distinguished
If your old AF lens is work on canon EOS film camera, you don't need the adaptor. But the old lens is work on the old film camera like canon AE-1, that is not a good idea, because the canon 500D is fully electric and the functions of your lens or camera can be stopped down manually or stopped work.

CompTIA_Rep

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
cin19 I have no idea what advice your trying to give.
drogheda:

Yes there are adapters from FD mount to EF, lots of them
http://osnews.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=745669/

You will lose autofocus and all the other electronic stuff, but no big deal. FD was manual anyway.

CompTIA_Rep

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Just because you lose functionality doesn't make it a bad idea. You wouldn't put 87 octane in an engine that requires 91 because premature combustion creates knocking.

If I had an excellent FD lens, I'd use it in manual mode on my camera. In fact, I have old EF manual lenses I use on my 5d Mkii because I chose to.

CompTIA_Rep

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I see what you are saying. I though you were taking about the loss of electronic control rather then using the on-lens ap control

TRENDING THREADS