HELP! Acer 5534 Laptop Issue!!

JawBone

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I bought an Acer 5534 notebook for work, and I'm not a total novice, but not a pro either. Problem is, even though I really, really like this laptop, it will NOT run some of my mission critical programs which WOULD run on my older laptop. I guess it's because of the Acer having Windows 7, a 64 bit OS. Here's the short of what I've tried so far:

1. Tried to boot the XP CD, (original intent was to simply downgrade back to XP, cuz I mainly just wanted the better processor to prevent my daily, aggravating "hangs" with my current machine) but anyway, no dice. It crashes before the XP cd can even finish loading the boot drivers. I'm guessing it's a hardware issue with the HDD, Sata, whatever that is.
2. I read about the MS virtual XP environment, but when I ran MS's little "test" program to see if the processor would run the virtual environment, and XP mode, it said my processor would NOT support it.
3. READ FOR HOURS on forums like this trying to find a solution! (gotta get up in a couple of hours, and I'm gonna to be lousy at work now)
4. Downloaded several programs to try and create an independent boot cd (i.e., the DBAN thing), but haven't used them yet. Little scared about it.
5. I have licensed XP software at work, both full AND upgrade products.

I really like Win7, it's fancy, and I even I turned all the aero features off to no avail as far as my business apps go. I'm so afraid I've just wasted some company money here, and I want to exhaust all options before having to confess to my boss that I'm a dumba**.

So, IS THERE ANY WAY I can get XP to run on this model Acer machine? The Acer folks did reply to my email, but offered NO HELP in downgrading back to XP (warranty voids and all that crap). It's an ACER 5534 specifically in case you guys need specs. I read something about XP 64, not sure even what that is, and would that fix my actual software compatibility issue? Is it the hardware, or the OS that's at issue, or BOTH? AND the software that I need, that's mission critical, was written by a company that no longer supports it!! They shut it down a few years ago, so no new Vista or 7 versions coming out!

Should I try the virtual XP environment anyway, just for kicks?? I can't keep spending hours trying to figure this out tho! If I could get a FIRM solution (aside from returning this machine to friggin' WAL-MART), I'd put in the time getting it going! I beg you guys for help. I feel so stupid and I hate that I've gotten attached to this thing for personal apps, but it was bought to do MY JOB, and it won't run the apps my job needs me to run!!! HELP ME!!!

I thank you all in advance to anybody who even just reads this mess. I ask God to bless you all very richly for your help!!!

Sincerely,
Andrew
Louisville, KY
andrew@graysbooks.com

Solution
I had the same problem with an Acer #5517. What worked for me was "driverpacks", specifically this one:
http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geulurq_xKFo0AsxqDBqMX;_ylu=X3oDMTBwMjNqdWVsBHBndANhdHdfd2ViX3Jlc3VsdARzZWMDc3I-/SIG=13apmp8le/EXP=1258159403/**http%3a//driverpacks.sytes.net/driverpacks/Nightlies/DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_909r6.7z

I used the "driverpacks base" program to "slipstream" it into a Windows XP cd. It's really not difficult to do.

Once you get XP installed, you will need to install the other drivers, e.g., video, wlan, etc. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them.

Regards,
Nelson_2008

JawBone

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

Oh yeah, several different settings too. BUT, I think I have a breakthru. Thanks to one of the other folks on this forum (which I literally stayed up ALL NIGHT reading) suggested changing the HDD mode in the bios to IDE instead of...whatever the default was, and now my XP disc is reading the HD and is reformating as we speak to load good ole' XP back on. I really liked Win7, but this is technically company property, and I GOTTA get those apps rolling like ASAP.

The last hurdle will be hoping I can find all the necessary drivers for this hardware. I saw some other good notes about some robot type apps that go out and find all that stuff. Acer wouldn't help me in the least. At this point, I don't care if they are generic drivers, just as long as the core hardware works!!

I thank you so much for writing me back!! It's been a LONG night, and know I'm at the J.O.B., so I gotta git! God Bless Ya!!

-JawBone

Nelson_2008

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I had the same problem with an Acer #5517. What worked for me was "driverpacks", specifically this one:
http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geulurq_xKFo0AsxqDBqMX;_ylu=X3oDMTBwMjNqdWVsBHBndANhdHdfd2ViX3Jlc3VsdARzZWMDc3I-/SIG=13apmp8le/EXP=1258159403/**http%3a//driverpacks.sytes.net/driverpacks/Nightlies/DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_909r6.7z

I used the "driverpacks base" program to "slipstream" it into a Windows XP cd. It's really not difficult to do.

Once you get XP installed, you will need to install the other drivers, e.g., video, wlan, etc. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them.

Regards,
Nelson_2008

Solution
G

Andrew,

Sorry this laptop did not perform as you wanted it. I have the same laptop and I am loving it. Only complain I have is that the CPU (1.2 Ghrtz due); it's slow installing applications. But after that, multiple application interaction in Win7 64bit runs them smoothly. The WIN 7 Premium that came with it does not run all XP apps. It need an upgrade to WIN 7 Professional then a Window 7 XP Mode download is required. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Willie N.
IT Technology Project Manager

G

this operating system sucks none of my sierra or corel products work acer is no help nor is microsoft there solution is to buy new softwere ha ha ha i will but they can pay the 5 grand im going back to xp and if it dont work they can have it back lol surprise my games work great but they dont pay the rent.

allweather_94

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I also have an Acer Aspire 5534 and would really like to install the xp mode. Running the utility to check for hardware compatibility though, indicates that the CPU is capable but the HW virtualization is not enabled in BIOS. However, there is no virtualization swtich I can find in the BIOS setup and the microsoft site says that all Acer PCs that can run virtualization are BIOS configured at the factory. So I figured the BIOS for this PC will simply not enable the HW virtualization needed to run XP mode. Is that not true and if not, how do I get around it so that I can then upgrade to WIN 7 Prof and then load XP Mode?

Thanks very much,
Pierce

Andrew,

Sorry this laptop did not perform as you wanted it. I have the same laptop and I am loving it. Only complain I have is that the CPU (1.2 Ghrtz due); it's slow installing applications. But after that, multiple application interaction in Win7 64bit runs them smoothly. The WIN 7 Premium that came with it does not run all XP apps. It need an upgrade to WIN 7 Professional then a Window 7 XP Mode download is required. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Willie N.
IT Technology Project Manager

riemman

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
The Acer 5534 suports virtualization by hardware with bios ver. 1.15 or later , I have this laptop with windows 7 Ultimate 64bits and just install Windows Xp Mode to suport some old software that only run on Xp or on 32bist Os...

If you can`t run the xp mode, the cpu have support but the motherboard doesn`t
you must upgrade you motherboard BIOS, you can downloaded from here:

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads_gd.html

After the upgrade you can install windows Xp mode,(2 files to download from microsoft )

and that`s all, now you have Xp mode

riemman

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
The Acer 5534 suports virtualization by hardware with bios ver. 1.15 or later , I have this laptop with windows 7 Ultimate 64bits and just install Windows Xp Mode to suport some old software that only run on Xp or on 32bist Os...

If you can`t run the xp mode, the cpu have support but the motherboard doesn`t
you must upgrade you motherboard BIOS, you can downloaded from here:

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads_gd.html

After the upgrade you can install windows Xp mode,(2 files to download from microsoft )

and that`s all, now you have Xp mode